FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

Assign Speaker Language Extension

THIS EXTENSION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

## STOP!! ##
    ## Before downloading and trying to use this extension READ,
    ## UNDERSTAND and be willing to COMPLY with the instructions
    ## and limitations stated in posts #1 - 4 of this thread.
    ## STOP!! ##

This extension allows the DM to place a "directive" in a Chat Frame paragraph in a Story page that forces the Chat Frame's text to be displayed in the Chat Box in a desired fantasy language. (See post #2 of this thread for more details.)

This extension was implemented in the CoreRPG ruleset, so it should work with all rulesets that use CoreRPG as their base. Though that has not been verified. I developed the extension specifically for use in Fantasy Grounds Unity, 5E, so it has been verified to work in that ruleset, but it has not been thoroughly play tested.

The following posts to this thread contain additional information that you should read, understand, and be willing to comply with:
    #2 - What it does, how and why. Plus restrictions and licensing.
    #3 - Versioning information.
    #4 - (reserved for future use)
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; April 20th, 2022 at 22:36.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Extension Necessity:
    At times, the DM may want to display some text to the players in an alternate fantasy language, such as Elvish or Gnomish. By placing the text in a Chat Frame in a Story entry the DM can somewhat automate that. During the game session the DM only need set the desired language in the Chat Box on the Fantasy Grounds desktop and click the Chat Frame on the Story Page.

Most of the time I forget to toggle the Language combo box on the Chat Box and inadvertently display the text in my native tongue instead of the desired fantasy language. To assist me with this problem I have written this extension.

To help elucidate my point here are a few screen shots. In all the screen shots the DM's instance of FG is to the left of the wide vertical green line and a player's instance is to the right. The player character, Tom Slick, speaks Common and Gnomish. The Story page, in the center, and the Chat Frame text itself provides explanations of the steps I performed in obtaining the results show in each screen shot.

First, not using the extension and not using the Assign Speaker option in the radial menu (of the Chat Frame).
    Untitled1.jpg

Next, using the Chat Frame's radial menu to set the Assign Speaker field, without employing the extension, and then with it.
    Untitled2.jpg

A couple things to note, which are displayed in the screen shots, but might be easily overlooked. The Assigned Speaker does not have to be a player nor a player character. In the final example the speaker is "Spellbook". Also the "directive" mandated language overrides the setting of the language choice, if any, of the combo box in Chat Box.

Extension Use:
    As displayed in the screen shots above, this very simple extension allows DMs to add a "directive" to a Chat Frame's text on a Story page to force the contents to be displayed in the supported, desired, fantasy language. The syntax of the "directive" is this: [Translate to "<fantasy language>"] .
    The syntax is exacting and mandatory:
    • The square brackets are mandatory.
    • The double stroke quotation marks are mandatory.
    • Single spaces between the words are mandatory.
    • The single space between the directive and the rest of the text is mandatory.
    • The directive must be at the beginning of the text (i.e. the first character in the text block must be the beginning of the directive's square bracket.
    • <fantasy language> between the quotes must be one of the fantasy languages available in the Chat Box's combo box.
    • Upper and lower case as it is shown is mandatory, in the directive and in the language.

Any variations and the translation will not be performed.

That said, before contacting me with information that the extension doesn't work, please double check the format of the directive you added. Then triple check it. Review the examples in the screen shots above for additional help.

Extension Interactions:
    Many new users of Fantasy Grounds see the huge variety of community developed extensions available to them and they load 'em up. "What could be better than all this additional functionality?" The answer might be none of it! But certainly, less of it. If you are not actively using an extension's functionality, don't load it. Community developers work in a bit of a vacuum. I don't pay attention to what's out there, unless I want or need it. Because the more extensions I have loaded the greater the chances are that those extensions might adversely interact with one another - giving errant results, undesired behaviors or crashing. I make sure my extensions work with the rest of my extensions and with those that I use from other community developers. But not every other extension out there.

This extension, though uncomplicated uses almost no duplicated ruleset code thereby minimizing possible conflicts. However, I cannot guarantee a conflict won't occur. Particularly if another developer's extension interferes with my extension's functionality instead of visa versa.

If you have problems with this extension, it is your responsibility to determine if the fault is extension conflicts. The first thing I will ask you is: "Do you use any other extensions?" If so, "Have you unloaded all the other extensions? Do you still have a problem?" So you might as well figure it out beforehand. If you don't know how to go about it, take a look at post #18 of this thread.

Extension Copyright:
    I am releasing the content of this extension to public domain. I am not retaining copyright. You may do with it as you please. However, I ask that you don’t simply duplicate my code in a "for sale" product.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; January 29th, 2021 at 18:46. Reason: Change in licensing verbiage.

Blog Entries
    Versioning Information:
    28 Jan 2021 v0.0.1 Initial release
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; January 28th, 2021 at 18:56.

Blog Entries
    << reserved for future use >>
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; January 28th, 2021 at 18:57.

Perfect!

Excellent addition!

Great work! I love it. Thanks For Sharing.
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

This is probably caused by an extension, but no one in my party can understand the translations. I checked a few times, changed languages to match the players etc., but:

Attachment 43389

EDIT: Fixed a typo in my module.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    This is probably caused by an extension, but no one in my party can understand the translations. I checked a few times, changed languages to match the players etc., but:

Attachment 43389

EDIT: Fixed a typo in my module.
    Yeah - made a clean 5e campaign and it works.

I disabled 5e - Spell Automation and it worked. I will contact the developer of that extension.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; February 1st, 2021 at 01:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    I disabled 5e - Spell Automation and it worked. I will contact the developer of that extension.
    What does 5e Spell Automation do? Does it modify text going to the Chat Box too?

I didn't find a 5E Extension with the name "Spell Automation" in the 5E Extensions thread. If you'll point me to the extension we might be able to deal with this with a simple "loadorder" change. (Please provide link to the extension's thread, please don't provide a copy, since extensions change over time.)

Thread Information