STAR TREK 2d20
Page 12 of 12 First ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by Arghun View Post
    I'm not a DEV guy but I like the ability to customize the user interface. Having text vs icons makes things easy but also 'boring' and remove some of the immersive experience. FGU is not a word processor. Why not offer both and default to text when no iconography is present but have an option to skin the UI for those who want to?
    Theme developers could still change it back to using iconography if they desire, after all there are some themes that made the move to all text when the default was to use icons. Though it does take a bit more elbow grease when a theme wants to do more than swap out.
    My Forge creations: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile
    My GitHub: https://github.com/MeAndUnique
    Buy me a coffee: https://ko-fi.com/meandunique
    Discord: MeAndUnique#6805

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndUnique View Post
    Theme developers could still change it back to using iconography if they desire, after all there are some themes that made the move to all text when the default was to use icons. Though it does take a bit more elbow grease when a theme wants to do more than swap out.
    I am not sure whether it is really possible to change it back if needed, see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post576820 (the second part) But may depend a bit on how one reads the answer, may just be about the themes of SmiteWorks themselves and their maintenance (so, no separate theme with icons).

@bmos,
    The buttons on the sidebar can be controlled via the Sidebar dialog off of the Options window now. Also, each of the sidebar "state" buttons can be dragged onto hot key bar for easier activation.

Regards,
    JPG

@Arghun/@MeAndUnique,
    I've laid this out in the post Kelrugem cited.

You can override to do whatever you like in an extension; but all the rulesets we sell will be following this model, and any changes will need to be owned by the extension developer. Believe me, once you have to support 20 different systems and 15 different themes, you'll see that model is not sustainable. In fact, we had about a third of the rulesets that had already gone in this direction for exactly that reason.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    each of the sidebar "state" buttons can be dragged onto hot key bar for easier activation
    I noticed that about the options themselves, too. Awesome touch! This will save a lot of time for me (since some players like to roll death saves themselves and others like the auto-roll).

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    @Arghun/@MeAndUnique,
    I've laid this out in the post Kelrugem cited.

You can override to do whatever you like in an extension; but all the rulesets we sell will be following this model, and any changes will need to be owned by the extension developer. Believe me, once you have to support 20 different systems and 15 different themes, you'll see that model is not sustainable. In fact, we had about a third of the rulesets that had already gone in this direction for exactly that reason.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks! I had made my own overrides with an extension to change the look and feel. I hope it won't be a lot more difficult that it is now. If it's just overrides like it is now I'm more than happy to give a look at the builtin extensions you provide.

I understand the rationale behind the change, I thought it would be impossible to switch back from text to graphical icons.

Are these being released today ?

Yes, we are having a meeting today where we will discuss the release and other project updates, then I usually release in PST afternoon. I will post a note to the City Hall forum when it goes Live.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I get the arguments for each and while there are some gorgeous sidebar icons I have used the Text versions for as long as its been available for the reasons Moon Wizard mentions - ease of creation and maintenance.
    I’ll miss the beautiful Savage World themed buttons I REALLY think they add a lot to playing SW. As well as make FG look pleasing to the eye and “sexy” for those comparing VTTs esp for SW.

That said, for my Ruleset... I NEVER considered graphical buttons as I suck with graphics and I thought Celestian’s AD&D text buttons looked great and I yanked that style when I started working on it

So I HATE they are going but I’d be a hypocrite if I complained about it

Thank you for this! It helped me fix an extesion I bought.

Thread Information