FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

Developer Notes - 2021-02 Ruleset Updates

NOTE: These changes will be released on Feb. 16.

I have been working on a large set of updates for rulesets in an ongoing fashion, in addition to the work we're doing on FGU. Once FGU was released, we decided to divorce the client releases (FGC/FGU) from the ruleset releases.

Since this is the first big push of updates since FGU launched, I still wanted to give a test period where ruleset and extension developers can adapt their code to work with the latest underlying ruleset changes. Additionally, there are a few rulesets which have errors, since they have overwritten low-level CoreRPG functions that have been replaced, so I will be reaching out to those developers directly.

The included FG themes (Simple Brown, Simple Gray, FG Light, FG Dark) have already been updated; but other art pack themes will be updated as we move forward.

This update is currently in the Dev channel only.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; February 8th, 2021 at 22:08.

Updates
    • [CoreRPG+] Sidebar buttons migrated to smaller text-based buttons.
    • [CoreRPG+] List add buttons made to be always visible.
    • [CoreRPG+] Tooltips added to campaign list groups
    • [CoreRPG+] Character desktop list can be unlocked and moved.
    • [CoreRPG+] Image toolbar toggle tracks separately for GMs and players.
    • [CoreRPG+] Image toolbar always available when sent to background.
    • [CoreRPG+] Image toolbar moved to right side.
    • [CoreRPG+] Current option values can be dragged to hot keys, and activated there.
    • [CoreRPG+] Add paging to Module Activation window to improve speed.
    • [CoreRPG+] Add Ruleset/Generic, Loaded, and Shared filter toggles to Module Activation window.
    • [CoreRPG+] Add Message of the Day campaign option
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] New image record initial window size increased.
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] Token lock toggle button added to the GM image toolbar.
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] Any image asset can be set as a background tabletop decal.
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] Limit asset search to 3 or more letters.
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] Last asset type filter in Assets window is remembered.
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] Add Ruleset/Generic filter toggle to Module Activation window.
    • [CoreRPG+][FGU] NPC import file button added to NPC campaign list.
    • [5E] Off-hand PC weapon damage would be converted to untyped. Fixed.
    • [5E] Extra space in NPC size/type/alignment summary when record locked. Fixed.
    • [5E] Racial language traits containing punctation were not handling correctly on drag and drop. Fixed.
    • [PFRPG] Advanced Class Guide did not load when using Setup window to load All Rules. Fixed.
    • [DEV] Actor resolution helper scripts updated to support additional record types.
    • [DEV] Actor health helper script added.
    • [DEV] Global scripts changed to use indirect referencing of contained functions.
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; February 16th, 2021 at 05:51.

For developers, the changes to the following rulesets are significant enough that I will not be outlining each file/asset changed.

Rulesets Affected
    CoreRPG
    3.5E
    4E
    5E
    Cypher/Numenera/The Strange
    Fate Core
    PFRPG
    SFRPG
    13th_Age
    Castles and Crusades
    CallOfCthulhu
    d20 Modern

Any specific updates for these rulesets will be gated until all the changes are released.
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; January 28th, 2021 at 01:05.

In order to support ruleset and extension developers, I have made a number of notes regarding changes that should be made to bring rulesets and extensions in-line with the changes to the others.

EXTENSION DEVELOPER SPECIAL NOTE: Make sure to pay close attention to last section of Required Changes. Also, some rulesets may have already have the ActorManager2 -> ActorManager<System> change applied. (Such as 5E, 4E, 3.5E, etc.)

Ruleset/Extensions - Required Changes

Add tags to support right click export
    * <export>character</export> -> windowclass charsheet
    * <gmexport>npc</gmexport> -> windowclass npc

Support updated chat window
    * Remove unnecessary non-local chat window overrides; or adapt to identity list embedded
    * Remove idactivefont/idinactivefont assets
    * Remove identitylist panel, window, and script
    * Remove identitylist_entry window and script
    * Remove GMIdentityManager overrides (or fix to work with newest)

Support updated sidebar
    * Remove DesktopManager overrides (or fix to work with newest)
    * Add frames (if needed)
    ** button_sidebar_dockitem/button_sidebar_dockitem_down
    * Add font (if needed)
    ** button_sidebar_dockitem

ActorManager and ActorManager<System> rewrites
    * Review 5E ruleset to see ActorManager5E changes/calls for examples
    * Rewrite deprecated actor manager calls
    ** ActorManager.getActor(_, x) -> ActorManager.resolveActor(x)
    ** ActorManager.getActorFromCT(x) -> ActorManager.resolveActor(x)
    ** ActorManager.getType(x) -> ActorManager.isPC(x) / (Cleanup)
    * Remove other old actor manager variables not needed
    ** Any "pc" references with regards to actor manager (all references should be by record type)
    ** msgOOB.sSourceType/sTargetType are no longer needed with resolveActor changes
    ** Similarly, <actortype> tag no longer needed with resolveActor changes

Ruleset - Suggested Maintenance Updates

Make all add buttons visible by default
    * Search for any template/control using button_iadd template/graphic; and make sure it does not have invisible tag
    * Search for "iadd.setVisible" and remove when needed. (Make sure NOT to remove from ct_entry.lua.)
    * Then, search for "iedit.setVisible", and add matching ...iadd.setVisible where needed.

Remove redundant action icons
    * Remove action_* icons already in CoreRPG unless replacing all of them
    ** action_attack, action_damage, action_effect, action_heal, action_option, action_roll

Convert variables for efficiency
    * User.isHost() -> Session.IsHost
    * User.isLocal() -> Session.IsLocal

Support updated sidebar
    * Remove .aDisplayIcon from record type registration
    * Remove icons
    ** Example - CoreRPG: button_book, button_characters, button_encounters, button_items, button_maps, button_notes, button_parcels, button_people, button_quests, button_tables, button_vehicles, button_library, button_tokencase, button_assets,

ActorManager<System> rewrites
    * Rewrite deprecated actor manager calls
    ** ActorManager2.getPercentWounded -> ActorManager2.getWoundPercent / ActorManager2.getHealthStatus
    ** ActorManager2.getWoundColor -> ActorManager2.getHealthColor
    ** ActorManager2.getWoundBarColor -> ActorManager2.getHealthBarColor
    * Optionally rename "ActorManager2" to "ActorManager<System>"
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; February 19th, 2021 at 04:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    For developers, the changes to the following rulesets are significant enough that I will not be outlining each file/asset changed.

Rulesets Affected
    CoreRPG
    3.5E
    4E
    5E
    Cypher/Numenera/The Strange
    Fate Core
    PFRPG
    SFRPG
    13th_Age
    Castles and Crusades
    CallOfCthulhu
    d20 Modern

Any specific updates for these rulesets will be gated until all the changes are released.
    CallOfCthulhu or CallOfCthulhu7E?

How do I test this for my own ruleset? Is there a way I can get hold of a beta-branch of the client or something?

/S

quick and perhaps silly question: if i decided to freeze and not update fg classic -- say for 6 months -- will i be able to continue using current version for that long with no further updates whatsoever?

more importantly, if i asked my players to freeze as well, what would be issues for them within that period?

this sounds like a huge update and i imagine it would take a few months afterward to continually iron out bugs. i just want to stick with a stable version until then.

thx
    -----
    roll dice. it builds character.

Same question as tahl. Thanks!

These changes look great! I see several improvements that users have been asking to be added. If you're running FG locally or with port forwarding I think you would be fine to not upgrade. As long as nothing changes with the cloud connections then you could stop updating. The problem I see with not updating will mean the GM and Players can't purchase anything from SW and add it to their copy FG as that is done using the update feature. You would also need to make backups of the GM and Players installation folders and the campaign folders, so you could revert back if someone accidentally presses the upgrade button. Sounds like too much work to me, but maybe not for you.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Thread Information