DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Modules with 7Zip Question

Good day. I run Jon Brazer Enterprises and I create my own FG .mod files. FG wants .mod files to work for both Classic and Unity. So exporting a file from Classic and having it work in Unity requires opening up the .mod (changing it to a .zip, extracting), putting the files in a folder, changing the db.xml to reflect the folder, and then buttoning it all back up. Windows' default zipper doesn't do folders so I was told to use 7zip.

No matter how many times I use 7zip, I can never see my file again in the modules folder. For a long time, I thought I was modding it wrong. Well, today, I tried opening the mod and zipping it back up again without making a single change. Same result, the new .mod file doesn't appear when I am trying to load a module.

So it is not me screwing, but some setting I have in 7zip that is the issue. How should I have my setting set?
    Dale McCoy, Jr (Ultimate License holder)

President of Jon Brazer Enterprises. See all of our products available for Fantasy Grounds.

I use the default Windows compression for all my ZIP file creation, and it supports folders just fine. I'm not familiar enough with 7-Zip to know how it zips up files by default; so it may have different compression formats you can try.

One thing to note is that any .mod files must have the definition.xml and client.xml/db.xml in the root of the .mod ZIP file. If it's nested, then it won't be recognized.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I use 7zip to unpack my mod/ext/pak/ppk files but I use Windows - Send to Compressed File for zipping them back up.
    Always zip up the contents of the root folder and not the root folder itself

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I use 7zip to unpack my mod/ext/pak/ppk files but I use Windows - Send to Compressed File for zipping them back up.
    Always zip up the contents of the root folder and not the root folder itself
    Damned has told us the equivalent of the "emailing attachment but forgetting to attach it" mistake frequency but as applies to making modules
    I made a couple demo mod/exts and immediately caught my error but I DID point to the directory in first try.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if this helps, but this is a quick and easy way to do it with 7-zip (assuming Windows anyway).

Go into the folder you want to zip, select everything you want zipped, right click to bring up the context menu. Then within the 7-zip menu, choose "Add to [filename].zip" and it will create the .zip file within that same folder for you. Then just rename the extension to .mod and you're all set to distribute. 7-zip's default compression is .7z which you do not want to use!

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information