Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Major character sheet slowdown issues (tested 5e, PF2e)

When a spellbook gets a moderate number of spells in it (30+) in the action tab the character sheet will slow to a crawl and act as if it (and it alone) were running at a low framerate.
    This does not impact other tabs of the same character sheet and minimizing the spell book or levels does not ease this issue (in PF2e it actually makes it slower)

This issues has been tested on two computers with fresh installs of FGU, with imported characters as well as fresh characters with the same spell dragged over 30 times. I further tested this in 5e by creating 50 blank new spell entries and found that it still occurred.

I have also tested this on fantasygrounds classic and the issue does not exist even with the imported characters, everything is buttery smooth.

Only extensions used were when I tested themes to see if that was the cause.

I am happy to record and upload a video showing the issue and difference if required however it should be easily replicable. Bringing this up due to player complaint and my noticing how bad it had become.

System 1 Specs:
    AMD 3800x
    32gb gskill DDR4 3600mhz CAS14 (samsung b-die)
    1tb m.2 samsung ssd (OS)
    1tb m.2 intell ssd (FGU)
    2080ti nvidia (2560x1440 native resolution monitor)

System 2 Specs: (laptop)
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ
    16gb DDR4
    1060 nvidia (2560x1440 native resolution)
    256gb SSD m.2 (OS)
    512gb SSD m.2 intel ssd (FGU)

Could you please export the example PC XML you're using (for bot 5e and PF2) and attach them here.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Could you please export the example PC XML you're using (for bot 5e and PF2) and attach them here.
    Sure 5e and PF2e characters included, labeled with system for ease of use.

Here is a google drive link to a video showing the issue
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Yw...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a youtube link to the same video, however it will take time to process as it is 1440p 60fps
    https://youtu.be/0U8t_iU2m44

As I did not mention it in the original post,
    My drivers are kept up to date and the windows install is only as old as december (upgraded to a x570 motherboard for PCIe 4.0's increased bandwidth)
    (the laptop is windows 10 home, who knows what version but it is regularly updated)
    Attached Files Attached Files

My group is seeing this exact same thing in our group after upgrading to Unity. Performance is simply ****. Loading up FG Classic and everything works fine even with the limitations of 32 bit ram.

any updated on this? My players have been exping the same issue as this. Its really bad for my player

Tomorrow evening's game will test with the spell caster's spell list heavily reduced to see how it affects performance, so I can report afterwards!

I've also attached the extremely bloated cleric from my campaign that is causing system wide slowdowns, which isn't surprised as the XML file is 8 times larger than any other character.

ChipDancer
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDancer View Post
    Tomorrow evening's game will test with the spell caster's spell list heavily reduced to see how it affects performance, so I can report afterwards!
    Limiting spells to their prepared spells (a sub optimal approach as spell automation still has to be handled and saved elsewhere and it introduces a lot of extra clicks) I find that characters still slow down sadly.
    Especially from levels 10 onwards.

That all said even if we find a work around, it is still a pretty massive issue given that it doesn't exist in FGC, I hope a smiteworks employee sees the thread and acknowledges it as an issue they plan on working to fix.

If it is deemed acceptable and what they are happy with, I would like to be informed sooner than later.

I have now tested the characters as well as a brand new character on 15 different computers, 3 of which were the server, 5 are laptops. The issue persists on every computer, so it is fair to assume it isn't an isolated issue.
    Last edited by lostsanityreturned; February 5th, 2021 at 13:57.

Any updates on this? I have noticed this slowdown when i first transitioned from FGC to FGU, but now that the Arcanist and Alchemist from my group are adding up a lot of known spells/formulas to their action tab the slowdown got significantly worse.

Blog Entries
    I don't know of any updates from the devs. There is a work around for this though it may not be popular, don't put all known spells on a characters spell list/actions tab. Have them only put the ones that are prepared.

Hopefully the devs will be able to look into and solve this soon, but until then you'll need to either put up with it, or work around it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I don't know of any updates from the devs. There is a work around for this though it may not be popular, don't put all known spells on a characters spell list/actions tab. Have them only put the ones that are prepared.
    Only works for a while, at level 12 in PF2e my casters and alchemist were still feeling it sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Hopefully the devs will be able to look into and solve this soon, but until then you'll need to either put up with it, or work around it.
    It would be nice to have acknowledgement regarding this that it was a priority. I hope they aren't considering it unimportant just because many groups don't play to mid level and above play.

Thread Information