Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Blank/black map for single players

Ahoi.

Yesterday's session ended when one of my players could not see the map anymore after me having dragged all player tokens outside the map (they went around). What happens is that the player only sees the whole map as black (LOS).

I had these happen a few times now, including when I connected to myself via a second instance. In that case I could solve it by simply closing and reopening the map. In another case when a player had the problem I could solve it by removing him from CT/map and then add his PC anew. In this case none of these helped, so we called it a day, since we were only minutes away from our session anyway and I did not want him to reconnect the client.

One of my many extensions may to be blame here, even though none of these should be map/LOS related.

You could also try unsharing and resharing the map or resharing the map to that specific person (have them close it first). You can drag the link icon in the upper left of the map onto their Character Portrait in the upper left of the FGU Window and it will share that content specifically with that one person (i.e. you can also use this for any other information you want to share with one person and no one else).

Unsharing will close it for all players, but we will try that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Unsharing will close it for all players, but we will try that next time.
    You sure you had at least one owned player token in the area (activated) that you wanted the player to see? Otherwise, per design, they won't see anything in an LOS map. Unless they are there (with and owned token activated on map) to see that area they are in. Unless I'm misunderstanding something you described of course.

And of course, I skip over the possibility you had them in another map which would make them not see anything in any other map than the one they were in. Even if that map was closed and the one they wanted to see (but were not in) was open.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; January 26th, 2021 at 17:03.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Yes, and even specifically removed and re-added said token from CT and map. We used the same map and tokens just minutes before, but once I pulled all tokens to the side of the map to move them to another entry point only this one player had the map turn black.

We had this happen before and I even had it happen when I logged in alone to my own local server (simple close+open map solved it then).

Yes, and even specifically removed and re-added said token from CT and map. We used the same map and tokens just minutes before, but once I pulled all tokens to the side of the map to move them to another entry point only this one player had the map turn black.

We had this happen before and I even had it happen when I logged in alone to my own local server (simple close+open map solved it then).
    So you actually had them moving from map to map when this happened? My bet, someone's network dropped some packets and their local view was still wrong. Especially as you essentially resent out the network info by close/open and it started working. I suppose if they have their log files from this time period - or you do - you might be able to see some network issues. If they log them.

As far as the local thing happening - are you using LAN or cloud? Personally I never use cloud as its a whole other layer of communications I don't have direct control over.

Same map to same map. There was no change in maps. I just pulled them out of the map area to the black sides and then back in. This needs to be done when you want to retain fog of war, but don't want to pull PC tokens all over the map. The latter of which reveals all parts traveled in between, so moving tokens outside the map is a workaround. I am open to other suggestions, but the main issue remains.

Last time I used local it was via private cloud connect. We used to use NAT routing direct connections, but since I enabled IPv6 on my side at least one of my players cannot use IPv6 DNS resolve to my server. So instead of handing over IP numbers every time I decided to give the cloud thing a try (it's what you pay for in Unity).
    Last edited by Weissrolf; January 26th, 2021 at 17:35.

This has happened a couple of times. I just tell the players to click on their token and it usually fixes the problem.

Same map to same map. There was no change in maps. I just pulled them out of the map area to the black sides and then back in. This needs to be done when you want to retain fog of war, but don't want to pull PC tokens all over the map, the latter of which reveals all parts traveled in between.
    Same map - or not - it still has to be communicated via network to the player. Even if the player is you locally logging in. Hence why I asked if you used LAN or cloud (as I never use cloud as its a whole other communication layer that can go wrong and I've had players have issues in the past).

Gist is, to me, it seems a network communication issue dropping things. But again, checking log might show that. Given I don't suffer this issue (where I can't determine it was legitimately not having a player - or myself - with and active token on the map so I can see), and I don't use cloud in my games so its pure LAN (and I have a very good network), I don't really have any other guess on what would cause it. It does not seem a code bug (except maybe how the network is working/being handled on retries) as that would tend to be duplicatable.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    This has happened a couple of times. I just tell the players to click on their token and it usually fixes the problem.
    Correct - this is the only thing I've ever witnessed - which is not what thread seems to be saying is happening to them. A pure activate token problem is the only thing I've ever seen that prevents LOS visibility. As I said in my very first post in here...

You sure you had at least one owned player token in the area (activated) that you wanted the player to see? Otherwise, per design, they won't see anything in an LOS map.

Thread Information