DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Copy Links?

Copy Links?

If I copy a note to a new note it doesn't copy the links over. It just replaces them with an asterisk. I know I can drag them over, but on a long list that could take a lot of time and there could easily be mistakes. Is there a way to copy links as well?

No formatted text is copied when you copy. To preserve links make a copy of the thing that has all the links. So if it is a story entry make a copy of the story entry. (And as an aside if you are the DM you should use story entries rather than notes).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Are you copying the text from inside one Note into another Note? Or are you copying the note by drag/dropping the link to the original note within the "Notes" data list so that is creates a new Note which is an exact copy of the original?

If the former, then you you won't get links copying the text, as the copy/paste process doesn't copy any formatting (headers, bold, italics, links, etc.).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I make a dated "Session Plan" for each session. I copy the text over to a new note for the next session date and make changes for the next session. It's just getting tedious to transfer all the links I need in the plan document. I saw in the feature request list a request for rich text formatting. Would that maybe make this possible?

Don't create a new note for the next session. Start by making a complete copy of the note from the previous session as both Zacchaeus and me directed above. You'll start with an exact copy of the previous session note, with all links intact.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Copying the note by dragging its link back to the notes window, not copy-pasting the text, is the way to do this in FG.

And it is also a perfect example of how new users come to a screeching halt against FG's non-standard UI conventions. There may have been a good use-case for why it is this way once, but personally I would MUCH rather that copy and paste took the formatting including hyperlinks with it, because that's how I expect copy-paste to work on formatted text. If people really still need the copy as plain text option, maybe allow it with a key modifier or a right-click paste option?

As always, many thanks to the old hands for answering these FAQs every time they come up, but this is not a very intuitive way to copy some text with links in it and preserve the links.

Cheers, Hywel

Quote Originally Posted by HywelPhillips View Post
    There may have been a good use-case for why it is this way once, but personally I would MUCH rather that copy and paste took the formatting including hyperlinks with it, because that's how I expect copy-paste to work on formatted text. If people really still need the copy as plain text option, maybe allow it with a key modifier or a right-click paste option?
    The way the formatted text control was created makes this a complex proposal. The devs have mentioned that redesigning that control is on their roadmap, until then full copy/paste of formatting may not be available. I'm guessing this will probably be at some point down the line when FGU use is much more prevalent than FGC, and FGU begins to do more and more things differently to FGC.

Ah I'm following now. Thanks so much. Just saved me a bunch of time.

In case it saves you down-the-road: use Story entries instead of notes; notes don't travel with modules (if you ever back it up/export it). But same trick applies: just drag the 'dot' to create a copy of the original entry then rename/date it. You can share the story entry with players if you like as well - but you gain the extra safety net in how it's backed-up/exported.

I'll do that moving forward. Thanks for the tip Bronze.

Thread Information