FG Spreadshirt Swag

SWADE, Rippers, Rippers Resurrected: Solo + Henchman/Companion possible?

Hello all.
    I just read an extremely interesting post on playing SWADE solo.
    They mention using rules from the "Beast and Barbarians setting" and the "Lone Heroes" setting rule" among other suggestions.
    As part of my learning experience, I would like to give this a try.
    Has anyone ever done this on FGU, and how did you find it?
    Are there rules available that cover running 2 characters?
    I was thinking I could create my character but have a companion to help with combat, almost like an NPC I suppose?
    I was also thinking to hire a GM to take me through character creation and run some adventures to help me learn the game.

Blog Entries
    Haven't tried it myself but The Lone Wolf setting rule is from Beasts & Barbarians Golden Edition (BBGE) which is the previous edition (SWD only) and no longer for sale on Fantasy Grounds. (PDFs are still available on DriveThruRPG.) Steel Edition (BBSE) is the current edition and here on FG has been fully updated to SWADE as well.

So, here's the lowdown:

The Lone Wolf
    The lone barbarian hero is a staple of many heroic fantasy stories. So, a Game Master and a single player can play a satisfying game even in a one-to-one situation, with the following rule changes:
    1. The Lone Wolf begins his career with 20 extra Experience Points (usually 40 Experience Points).
    2. The Lone Wolf starts each session with an additional Bennie.
    3. Halve (rounding down) gang up bonuses against the Lone Wolf.
    4. Use the Really Heroic Healing rule.

Disregard #1 since SWADE does not have XP.

Really Heroic Healing
    After a fight, each hero is allowed an unmodified Vigor roll. The character automatically recovers one Wound with a failure, two with a success, and three with a Raise. This represents the character "shrugging off" wounds and acts in addition to the normal Healing rolls. Only with a critical failure does he recover no wounds.

For a henchman just make a regular (non-Wild Card) NPC then in the descriptive text add the effect keyword [Wounds = 3].

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Haven't tried it myself but The Lone Wolf setting rule is from Beasts & Barbarians Golden Edition (BBGE) which is the previous edition (SWD only) and no longer for sale on Fantasy Grounds. (PDFs are still available on DriveThruRPG.) Steel Edition (BBSE) is the current edition and here on FG has been fully updated to SWADE as well.

So, here's the lowdown:

The Lone Wolf
    The lone barbarian hero is a staple of many heroic fantasy stories. So, a Game Master and a single player can play a satisfying game even in a one-to-one situation, with the following rule changes:
    1. The Lone Wolf begins his career with 20 extra Experience Points (usually 40 Experience Points).
    2. The Lone Wolf starts each session with an additional Bennie.
    3. Halve (rounding down) gang up bonuses against the Lone Wolf.
    4. Use the Really Heroic Healing rule.

Disregard #1 since SWADE does not have XP.

Really Heroic Healing
    After a fight, each hero is allowed an unmodified Vigor roll. The character automatically recovers one Wound with a failure, two with a success, and three with a Raise. This represents the character "shrugging off" wounds and acts in addition to the normal Healing rolls. Only with a critical failure does he recover no wounds.

For a henchman just make a regular (non-Wild Card) NPC then in the descriptive text add the effect keyword [Wounds = 3].
    Many thanks for the detailed explanation, sir.
    Just had a look on the store and see there is are 2 books, a Player guide, and a GM guide. Would I need to purchase both books?
    I also found "Solo game Guide for Savage Worlds" on DriveThruRPG. Would this be worth purchasing?
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-Savage-Worlds

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Von Wulfen View Post
    Just had a look on the store and see there is are 2 books, a Player guide, and a GM guide. Would I need to purchase both books?
    Correct, that's the Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition (BBSE) I mentioned above. Just be aware The Lone Wolf setting rule does not exist there, it was only in the defunct Gold Edition. Also, there is no automation for it anyway, that's why I posted the text so you could see how to implement it. (TL;DR -- give your hero an extra benny each session, enemy gang up bonus is 1/2, vigor roll after fight to recover wounds)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Von Wulfen View Post
    I also found "Solo game Guide for Savage Worlds" on DriveThruRPG. Would this be worth purchasing?
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-Savage-Worlds
    No clue, I don't own any SWAG content. It seems to have some decent reviews though.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Correct, that's the Beasts & Barbarians Steel Edition (BBSE) I mentioned above. Just be aware The Lone Wolf setting rule does not exist there, it was only in the defunct Gold Edition. Also, there is no automation for it anyway, that's why I posted the text so you could see how to implement it. (TL;DR -- give your hero an extra benny each session, enemy gang up bonus is 1/2, vigor roll after fight to recover wounds)

No clue, I don't own any SWAG content. It seems to have some decent reviews though.
    Many thanks for the info, sir.

Thread Information