DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Using LoS, how would I make a "gate" or "window" effect?

How can I make a wall that the players can see through, but not walk through?

Something to emulate windows or gates.

Currently you can't but there is such a thing in the pipeline.

For windows I use the terrain tool since a PC could climb through it. And unless the gate is barred shut and cannot be opened you could use secret door or just an ordinary door occluder in little circles..
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, I'll use Terrain for now for the windows, and use Theater of mind for see-through barriers. (For gate, I meant more like a portcullis or fence or such.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Currently you can't but there is such a thing in the pipeline.

For windows I use the terrain tool since a PC could climb through it. And unless the gate is barred shut and cannot be opened you could use secret door or just an ordinary door occluder in little circles..
    Hey man, have you got an example for this?

I was going to try something like this:

I was going to add that same Terrain shape "flipped" on the other side of the window. I was going to do thise for each successive window. Am I on the right track, or is there some other better way to do it?

Also, is there some way to copy/paste Wall/Terrain/Door selections?

A lot depends on how important you feel the view is I think. In the majority of maps there's nothing to see out side the window so in some ways you can always just miss it out altogether. Here's a couple of images. In either case the player would 'open' the window by just moving their token over it. But how you#ve done it is pretty neat as well.

There is (sadly) no copy/paste function. However although that sounds attractive I'm not sure how much use it would actually be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    A lot depends on how important you feel the view is I think. In the majority of maps there's nothing to see out side the window so in some ways you can always just miss it out altogether. Here's a couple of images. In either case the player would 'open' the window by just moving their token over it. But how you#ve done it is pretty neat as well.

There is (sadly) no copy/paste function. However although that sounds attractive I'm not sure how much use it would actually be.
    That's your Yawning Portal map! xD I was originally going with that one. [It's great, don't get me wrong, I just found one I liked better, by same guy that did this Warehouse one I'm working on (intentionally vague on the "Warehouse" bit in case my players are reading, hahaha).]

I suppose with terrain not "doubling up" like I was hoping (I tried what I mentioned in the original example with undesirable results), your method is indeed the best for now.

You mentioned there's a suggestion "in the pipeline." Is it something that's definitely going to be attempted to be included, or is there somewhere I should be voting for the suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
    That's your Yawning Portal map! xD I was originally going with that one. [It's great, don't get me wrong, I just found one I liked better, by same guy that did this Warehouse one I'm working on (intentionally vague on the "Warehouse" bit in case my players are reading, hahaha).]

I suppose with terrain not "doubling up" like I was hoping (I tried what I mentioned in the original example with undesirable results), your method is indeed the best for now.

You mentioned there's a suggestion "in the pipeline." Is it something that's definitely going to be attempted to be included, or is there somewhere I should be voting for the suggestion?
    It's currently in the development build for testing. It's a new LoS occluder which allows vision but blocks movement.

Excellent, can't wait for it's release!

Blog Entries
    Using terrain for windows, I would make the terrain area one square / 5 feet on each side of the window. This way from farther away from a window, you can only see immediately outside. Perhaps the glass is not clean or their is glare. i.e. you know there is a window there and outside, but not more than that. But, once you are next to the window (and inside the terrain) then your vision is no longer hampered and you can see everything in both directions.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information