5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

FGU - Default Desktop Dimensions

When starting Fantasy Grounds Unity, the splash screen's dimensions are the same as they were at shutdown of FGU's last session. Great!

But then the launcher screen comes up and resizes and repositions FGU to some default size decided by a developer at Smiteworks.

QUIT IT!!!

This necessitates manually resizing FGU to my desired, working dimensions.

FGU should abide by the precedent set by every other well behaved application in the world. The startup application desktop dimensions should be of the same size (and position) as they were at shutdown of the last session.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; January 23rd, 2021 at 16:39.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Yes, please.
    --
    I'm so bassic

It resizes to fit the launcher screen on the display given the current UI scale settings. It sounds like you are resizing to a size smaller than UI scale * launcher screen size during play.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It resizes to fit the launcher screen on the display given the current UI scale settings. It sounds like you are resizing to a size smaller than UI scale * launcher screen size during play.

Regards,
    JPG
    Sorry, but I’m not sure how this helps... I’m having to resize both vertically and horizontally. Compress vertically and lengthen horizontally, so it’s not just a simple scaling. And I must do this every single time I start FGU.

In general this might not be an issue. Start a game, resize (to myself: “well that’s a bit annoying”) and then I’m good for 3-4 hours.

But as a community developer, as one modifies script and then goes to test it, restarting FGU, sometimes every 5-6 minutes as one perfects the desired end result, the resizing becomes intolerable! The relaunch wait is bad enough, but constant resizing, for absolutely no reason, AARGH!! (Please help and quit inflicting this unnecessary application behavior on us!)

The only time that, for me at least, FG resizes itself is when there is an update. After the update finishes then FG is in a small window in the centre of my screen. Once I manually resize it to my desired dimension then it stays that size until the next time it updates. I misread your first post thinking that is what you meant. But are you saying that whenever you close out FG and then restart it that it loses the screen dimension you had it set at before closing it down?

The screenshot is after updating but normally I have FG filling this screen and it stays that way until the next update.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The problem is that the Unity platform does not provide any way to specify or provide a minimum window size, as far as I can find. That means that the window can end up like the picture attached. Because the average end user is not as savvy as you, we ensure that the window is increased in size to show the launcher panel at launch, so that users don't end up not being able to use launcher.

The current launcher panel minimum size is 1024x768x{UIScale}; and is only enforced at startup for best customer experience.

We have no plans to change at this time.

Regards,
    JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    restarting FGU, sometimes every 5-6 minutes as one perfects the desired end result, the resizing becomes intolerable
    Hi Minty /reload is working again in FGU. and reload is not changing the window dimensions for me.
    On restarting it will resize if either of your settings are below the 1024x768 pixels
    If you only compress the height to 768 it will stop resizing on you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Zacchaeus for responding.

Here is what I am experiencing (illustrated).

First, with FGU running (game mode), I resized it to what I wanted. And then shut it down.
    Here is a screenshot just prior to shutting it down.
    Please note I made FG purposely smaller than I would usually run it for illustrative purposes. All screenshots are of my full PC desktop (full "screen")
    Note the size and position at the time of shutdown.
    UI-1B.jpg

Next is a screenshot of the "splash" screen as I restart FGU.
    Note the position is centered, not in the upper right, but the size looks to be about the same as shutdown.
    UI-2B.jpg

Next is a screenshot of the FGU Launcher.
    The Launcher is always, no matter what I try to do, full PC desktop size, top to bottom, and centered.
    UI-3B.jpg

And now a screenshot of the FGU desktop as it mimics the launcher dimensions and position.
    Note how the FGU shortcut panel at the bottom is hidden by my PC Desktop Quick Launch Taskbar.
    UI-4B.jpg

[EDIT] added after posting.

And here is a screenshot of the FG Launcher with 50% UI Scaling setting.
    Note the launch details subwindow is smaller, but the overall Launcher window is still full screen top to bottom.
    UI-5B.jpg
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; January 24th, 2021 at 00:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The problem is that the Unity platform does not provide any way to specify or provide a minimum window size, as far as I can find. That means that the window can end up like the picture attached. Because the average end user is not as savvy as you, we ensure that the window is increased in size to show the launcher panel at launch, so that users don't end up not being able to use launcher.

The current launcher panel minimum size is 1024x768x{UIScale}; and is only enforced at startup for best customer experience.

We have no plans to change at this time.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thank you Moon Wizard. And thanks for your confidence in me
    I'm really not that savvy, my bluster usually just confuses people enough so that they think I am.

If I am understanding all this correctly, then, if my eye-sight was poorer than it is now, and I had to use say 800x600 screen resolution, the FGU "Start" button would be off screen and I couldn't run FG. (I'm sure this is stated somewhere in the online documentation, and I just haven't read it.)

A question: is there a Regedit setting that I could manipulate to change those default startup dimensions of the Launcher?

(I know you would be reluctant to give it to me, and I don't blame you.
    But if I knew there was such a setting I could go find it myself.
    And if knew there wasn't one, then I wouldn't waste my time looking for it.)

As always thank you for your time.

Thread Information