Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last

Image Text Label Extension

Not for use with FGU / Fantasy Grounds Unity

Now compatible with Fantasy Grounds v3.3.0. Note: The toolbar will become available when the image is unlocked.

You no longer need the text label module - the required token is included in the CoreRPG ruleset.

For campaigns using CoreRPG based rulesets (3.5E, Pathfinder, 4E, 5E, Castles and Crusades, Call of Cthulhu, etc.). Current issue using Savage Worlds - being investigated.

Over a year ago Ikael posted his idea regarding dead markers for Savage Worlds (which is now in the Savage Worlds ruleset), original idea here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-feature-idea. In post #4 I mentioned that I had lots of idea regarding how I could use the very clever idea he had (adding widgets to a very small transparent token), but I've never got round to realising some of those ideas. Ikael has very kindly allowed me to take his idea and some of his code and mess around. My first idea and extension around this is an Image Label extension, here's an example screenshot (reference number only visible in the label while in edit mode):

Here's a GM and Player's view side-by-side:

This extension allows the GM to add labels (both public and GM only) to any image/map they have within a campaign. These labels are purely within the campaign in question, they aren't added to the base map.

Here's a video of how to use it, updated for v1.1. Apologies for the rather amateur presentation. If the video size in your browser is quite small, click the download link and play it local - it's 25MB in size.

Video link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...XVpeXJ1XzZ2bWs

Versions
    v1.2 - Fantasy Grounds v3.3.0 compatibility.
    v1.1 - Bugfix and functionality release. Added ability to edit already placed label, plus font resizing. Under-the-hood efficiency improvements. Updated video - link above.
    v1.0b - Minor bugfix - fixes error seen in the original release video.
    v1.0a - First release. Base functionality.

Installation
    1. Download the attached extension file "Image Text Labels.ext" and save it to your <FG App Data>\extensions directory.
    2. Start up Fantasy Grounds and select campaign for a ruleset that is built on CoreRPG. Select the "Image Text Labels" extension and start your campaign.
    3. Have a look at the video above on how to use the extension.

Do not use this with the Enhanced Images (layers) or the Player Image Auto Size extensions.

Please read the following two posts for gotchas, issues and development plans.

If you have any feedback, comments, questions, etc. please post in this thread. Constructive criticism is welcome, just please keep in mind that this is the first release and I plan to add more functionality pretty quickly - so let me know what works, what doesn't, what features you'd like to see (keep it reasonable and realistic please) and we'll see where this goes...

If you have any ideas about the code please pass your feedback direct to me, please don't create your own version of this extension - we don't want confusion and multiple extension versions all over the place! Thanks!

(v1.1 downloads = 410).
    Last edited by damned; May 20th, 2021 at 23:54.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Gotchas:
    • Cannot be used with other extensions that modify the image control - this includes the Enhanced Images Extension (layers). Compatible update to come...
    • Enabling "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" causes token transparency selection issues which make the label anchors act like normal tokens - giving stacking issues, etc..

Limitations:
    • Mask doesn't cover player visible labels.

Known Issues:
    • Doesn't play nicely with Savage Worlds ruleset. Being investigated.
    • If GM is editing an image that the player hasn't opened yet the player will see "unknown OOB" messages in the chat window. Quick workaround - briefly share the image with the players (so that it opens) and then unshare it (click the (P) icon in the image list). You might want to mask the image before doing this, just so the players don't see much... This brief share will stop this error (for this session).

Fixed Issues:
    • When adding a label when in edit mode the label text did not include the reference ID resulting in the console raising errors when leaving edit mode, and the base widget remained on the screen when entering edit mode. As seen on the video! Fixed in v1.0b.
    • v1.0b introduced an issue where hidden labels aren't hidden. Fixed in v1.1.
    • Don't use "Delete All Tokens" on the map. This will remove the underlying token anchor used by the labels, but not the label references. This screws the whole extension up. Fixed in v1.1.
    • On very large maps with token scales locked (either manually by the GM or using token auto scaling to grid) the label can appear very small. Token scaling to be investigated. First fix in v1.1.
    • Can't move tokens directly, have to delete and re-add. Functionality added to v1.1.
    • The GM has to have the image open when the players open their image, otherwise FG can't build the labels (the players side relies on the GM instance accessing the database and image information and passing it back to the player instance). Fixed in v1.1.

Future Development:
    • Different colour, size and font labels.
    • Player addition of labels (maybe).
    • Compatibility with Enhanced Images extension (layers).
    • Compatibility with Savage Worlds ruleset.
    • Export labels to module.
    • Related to module export. Investigate the possibility of making labels based on different module images persist when exported (store token details in extension module database and recreate tokens in new campaign).
    • Larger combo box (label list) to ease deletion.
    • Tidy up code, add comments. Move most code from campaign_images.xml to images.lua.
    • Make more space in the image toolbar (dynamically add another toolbar row for the label controls). Makes editing labels on smaller images easier and also allows the label edit list to be larger and easier to use.

Feature Requests:
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 9th, 2017 at 05:53.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Placeholder.

Absolutely awesome. It should be put as a base in every Ruleset.

Couldn't have said it better my self Damned. I used to use tokens with a text label on them, but this is so much better. Another great thing from Trenloe!

Vires Animi

Nice work again, Sir!
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Very useful. Insted using paint software to add text after a session it can be tagged now during the session. Great work!

This is great, Trenloe - thanks again! I hope you manage to find away of enabling the export of labels with images into a module, as that will really enhance the usefulness of this excellent extension. On a related note - if you add labels to an image from a module that you have open in another campaign, will those labels persist?

As an aside, it's strange to hear your voice after all this time. After reading so many of your forum posts over the years, I'd created a "voice" for you in my head - which, unsurprisingly, doesn't match your real voice!

Blog Entries
    You might want to add some sort of control for 'scale'.
    When using this extension on large maps with a small grid the labels end up being very small. I'll add an image to reflect what I'm talking about...
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Thread Information