DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Racial Skill Modifiers

I read in one (1) post that racial modifiers have to be entered manually but in the guide it states that the modifiers (racial, armor...etc.) can be automated or manual.
    If the guide is correct how do you set up the modifiers to be automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by 1nolefan View Post
    I read in one (1) post that racial modifiers have to be entered manually but in the guide it states that the modifiers (racial, armor...etc.) can be automated or manual.
    If the guide is correct how do you set up the modifiers to be automatic?
    You'll need to explain more precisely what you're trying to do for an accurate answer.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

No problem. Bare with me I'm an old-school kid (age notwithstanding) and I really like Fantasy Grounds Unity, but I just have a few minor irks (my issues, not the coders) as I was hoping for something like Core Rules 2 as far as the
    automated effects on the character sheet (racial bonuses to thief's skills, magic item effects automatically when worn...etc.) without having to us the CT to display effects. I was specifically looking at the racial bonuses for thieving skills
    in my character sheet and I read a post that stated "all modifiers need to be manually entered", I then read the basic guide for 2E and it stated that the modifiers "can be automated or manual". My question was if say the racial modifier
    for an Elven Thief's Move Silently skill is +5 can it be automated to add the racial modifier or is the guide incorrect and I need to add it manually? The guide states the same for all the modifiers armor, racial, etc.. but I have yet to see the
    modifiers applied automatically and I have not been able to locate a "setting/option" that is appropriate.

You can add effects to a race using the "Advanced Effects" section. You can add the same effect directly to the character also. You'll need to make a "copy" of the race if you're using the PHB or other products.

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I understand that using the advanced effects will automatically add the bonus, but only once the DM puts the character into the CT, correct? I was more looking for a behind the scenes action; as a player I like to have all my
    information available for those times I am roleplaying (not combat) and as a DM I don't want to have to use the CT just to get accurate information on the players when I am guiding a non-combat roleplay situation. For instance,
    a player tells me they want to talk up the barmaid, and the are using a Ring of Human Influence. I would rather have them roll straight from their character sheet (with auto-adjusted scores) than have to open the CT and drag their
    character into it then roll after closing and reopening their character sheet to make sure the changes are effective.

Quote Originally Posted by 1nolefan View Post
    I understand that using the advanced effects will automatically add the bonus, but only once the DM puts the character into the CT, correct? I was more looking for a behind the scenes action; as a player I like to have all my
    information available for those times I am roleplaying (not combat) and as a DM I don't want to have to use the CT just to get accurate information on the players when I am guiding a non-combat roleplay situation. For instance,
    a player tells me they want to talk up the barmaid, and the are using a Ring of Human Influence. I would rather have them roll straight from their character sheet (with auto-adjusted scores) than have to open the CT and drag their
    character into it then roll after closing and reopening their character sheet to make sure the changes are effective.
    Well, if you're still wanting to adjust thief skills as you mentioned at the start the only way to do that for a "race" given to a character, the only automated way is to use the CT so effects work.

In the case of a thief you can add a modifier to the skill itself. That will always work even if not in the CT but there is no "automated" way to add it.

I'm not sure what the close/open issue you're talking about is. Normally DMs will place all players in the CT and leave them there. You shouldn't need to add/remove and you dont need bad guys in there. It's there to track rounds, initiative order and effects (such as spells/etc). You can certainly try to do what you are but the system was designed intending players be in the CT in most cases.
    Last edited by celestian; October 12th, 2023 at 19:21.
    ---

Thanks Celestian for bearing with me. So short answer is manually enter the info on the character sheet and make sure to track any changes. No problem.

The open and close; I was spacing for a minute as the effect activates from the CT and I was just thinking say my player had the ring stowed (not worn) and then placed it on, if the character was in CT then there
    character would have to be removed from CT and re-added for the effect to take place.

I am just trying to hammer out as much detail as I can as I plan on starting my normal group thru an FGU B2 Keep of the Borderlands and I want it to go as smooth as possible. I hate slowing gameplay to because
    I'm not prepared.

Keep up the great work, and I'm sure I'll find something else to annoy you with..lol.

Thread Information