Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

A few questions from newcomer to RPG'S and Fantasy Grounds.

Hello everyone, I am very pleased to meet you.
    I recently got into the Mansions of Madness board game and the whole Arkham, Cthulhu scene.
    I am really enjoying learning about the lore and reading novels, both the original Cthulhu and the Arkham Horror novels.
    I am now wanting to dig a little deeper and noticed FGU has modules for not only Call of Cthulhu but also Vampire the Masquerade, which I would love to try
    Now for a few questions.
    Are there any game systems that are based on the Victorian period, especially anything to do with occult sects?
    A Penny Dreadful type game would be amazing
    What content do you get with the standard license?
    Will I be able to edit my characters etc while not connected to the GM?
    If I purchased the Cthulhu modules could I practice making my own maps, character sheets, and scenarios, etc?
    Many thanks

Blog Entries
    Welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Von Wulfen View Post
    Are there any game systems that are based on the Victorian period, especially anything to do with occult sects?
    Yes, "Call of Cthulhu" is a game system, or what we call a ruleset. There are numerous editions (versions) of the rules. I believe the most current is 7th.

What content do you get with the standard license?
    Not too much content, you get lots of rulesystems, which includes the character sheets and the mechanics for the game (i.e. what data fields does an item have? or a spell etc).
    You do get System Reference Documents for the games that have them, and with D&D you get the Basic Rules. See the section on Data Libraries on teh "See Details" link on the store page underneath the license types.

Will I be able to edit my characters etc while not connected to the GM?
    Yes, but you will be editing a copy of the character, not the GMs version. So you will need to re-import your character next time you join their server. Simple, but necessary step.

If I purchased the Cthulhu modules could I practice making my own maps, character sheets, and scenarios, etc?
    Yes, but you can make maps without purchasing any content/DLC. The Demo lets you do that, as well as create characters etc. But it doesn't let you host games. Download the program, install it and just pass by the enter license screen. Then you can start it up and see for yourself. BUT, be aware, some people do not find FG intuitive. It's very powerful, so I strongly suggest you watch some videos, read the manual, or take a free class through www.fantasygroundscollege.net.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; January 20th, 2021 at 18:54.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Many thanks for the reply sir.
    The collage looks really interesting Just the simple coat of arms and the well drawn images for the class resource etc, it already has good vibes
    Does the collage have a motto?
    Just had a quick nose and is crammed full of information.

Blog Entries
    Motto? not that I know of. But they do have a mission statement;
    Our Mission Statement
    Fantasy Grounds College is committed to providing the highest levels of support and instruction for all members of the Fantasy Grounds Community.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Welcome

You might also want to look at D&D Ravenloft for the gothic vibe. In 5th edition it would be Curse of Strahd. Earlier editions had much more to the domains of dread hopefully WOTC will be expanding the realms in the 5th edition.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Quote Originally Posted by Granamere View Post
    Welcome

You might also want to look at D&D Ravenloft for the gothic vibe. In 5th edition it would be Curse of Strahd. Earlier editions had much more to the domains of dread hopefully WOTC will be expanding the realms in the 5th edition.
    Many thanks, sir.
    I did not realize that D&D had a non-standard fantasy ruleset.
    My interest is piqued, and I shall investigate further

Concerning the Penny Dreadful type, I would recommend 'Rippers resurrected' which is a setting for the ruleset 'Savage Worlds'
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheels View Post
    Concerning the Penny Dreadful type, I would recommend 'Rippers resurrected' which is a setting for the ruleset 'Savage Worlds'
    I was just about to suggest this and will second Rippers for Savage Worlds as another option - great ruleset and great setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    I was just about to suggest this and will second Rippers for Savage Worlds as another option - great ruleset and great setting.
    Many thanks, chaps, very much appreciated
    I will check it out.
    After doing some investigation, I have also found a few rule systems that look very interesting.
    Leagues of Adventure is a late Victorian steampunk, low magic setting. Reading through the info, it has modules that introduce, arcane cults, black magic, and dark secrets
    This sounds amazing
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...re--Core-Rules
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-Gothic-Horror
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...to-Black-Magic
    And then there is Through the Breach RPG. Based on the Malifaux universe this also sounds wonderful
    I have never played Malifaux but I have always wanted to and know quite a bit about the universe.
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...PG--Core-Rules
    I wonder if anyone runs these systems via FGU?
    I shall ask in LFG

Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    I have just watched an intro to the Ripper's setting and rules on youtube.
    He had me at "Think Van Helsing"! With the rippertech and different factions, the game sounds just my cup of tea
    Is it a popular system on FGU?

Thread Information