5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Tile performance improvement?

So I was fooling around, creating a map from tiles and I may have gone overboard. I figured out how to group things with folders, and get all the overlapping correct with the ordering of the layers. I ended up with a map that has 200+ tiles/layers. This has caused the map to have some performance issues. Moving tokens around on the map lags quite a bit.

Is there any way I can improve the performance of this tiled map?

Can I possibly group multiple tiles into a single layer? I probably have around 100 tiles for just the flooring of this map, which could easily be grouped into a single layer.

As a worst case, is there a way to export the map as an image more efficiently than taking a screenshot?

Blog Entries
    Layers don't really impact performance. What does is number of LOS occluders and number of tokens. Also, when you have LOS on and are in play mode, it's best not to be editing the map. Otherwise LOS is going to continuously be trying to re-calculate everything when you are editing the map. When you can, do one or the other, not both.

There is no map export functionality

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

OK, it was LOS that was killing my performance. Even when LOS was off, it was still dogging my performance. Removing all LOS objects and no performance issues at all with all the tiles. Time to research how to best optimize LOS on complicated maps.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hykim View Post
    OK, it was LOS that was killing my performance. Even when LOS was off, it was still dogging my performance. Removing all LOS objects and no performance issues at all with all the tiles. Time to research how to best optimize LOS on complicated maps.

Thanks!
    I think of it this way, LOS is only calculated from like 9 points in a square (if I remember correctly). Therefore, when you draw your occludes, don't draw them in "high fidelity". Limit the number of occludes, and you limit the required computation. So, I try to draw as few elements as possible. I do not follow curves precisely and I never use the built in circle tool on a big map. It draws way too many segments! Don't trace trees precisely. Etc. It's just not needed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I think of it this way, LOS is only calculated from like 9 points in a square (if I remember correctly). Therefore, when you draw your occludes, don't draw them in "high fidelity". Limit the number of occludes, and you limit the required computation. So, I try to draw as few elements as possible. I do not follow curves precisely and I never use the built in circle tool on a big map. It draws way too many segments! Don't trace trees precisely. Etc. It's just not needed.
    Precisely, you don't need a million dots for the LOS to work perfectly.

Thread Information