DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Cannot connect to server -- firewall issue?

Hey I've been having this issue for a while where I can't connect to my friend's server (he has pro).

Weirdly, I *can* connect to other random servers, and other people can connect to my friend's server, so it's something about the pair that isn't working. I am guessing it's something on my end with packet loss or something, but I'm not sure how to go about digging deeper. What would help investigate this issue? Is there specific ports of traffic I should be looking for?

The connection just stalls on:

[1/17/2021 6:18:55 PM] Resolving named connection to server. [tortwig]
    [1/17/2021 6:18:55 PM] Attempting resolved connection to server. [104.248.118.207:50941, 2604:a880:400:d0::1968:1:52841]

Hung Connection.jpg

When I pull up the network traffic in wireshark, I see some (UDP) traffic to the given IP / port, but after an initial negotiation, it just stops.

Can't find any solutions elsewhere in the thread. Would appreciate some guidance or clues on how to investigate further.

Report connection issues here along with the compiled log files https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nection-Issues

And welcome to FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan2357 View Post
    Hey I've been having this issue for a while where I can't connect to my friend's server (he has pro).

Weirdly, I *can* connect to other random servers, and other people can connect to my friend's server, so it's something about the pair that isn't working. I am guessing it's something on my end with packet loss or something, but I'm not sure how to go about digging deeper. What would help investigate this issue? Is there specific ports of traffic I should be looking for?

The connection just stalls on:
    [1/17/2021 6:18:55 PM] Resolving named connection to server. [tortwig]
    [1/17/2021 6:18:55 PM] Attempting resolved connection to server. [104.248.118.207:50941, 2604:a880:400:d0::1968:1:52841]

Hung Connection.jpg

When I pull up the network traffic in wireshark, I see some (UDP) traffic to the given IP / port, but after an initial negotiation, it just stops.

Can't find any solutions elsewhere in the thread. Would appreciate some guidance or clues on how to investigate further.
    I've seen this with my server a few times when testing from a second computer. The solution that has worked 100% of the time was exiting completly out of FGU on the GM computer and restarting FGU.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Thanks for your responses, and sorry I've been slow on mine.

That said, I screwed around a bit more with it today, and I realized something. My desktop computer is the only one plugged directly into my comcast modem, all my other devices are behind a router. I tried plugging my computer into the router instead and suddenly everything worked fine. Apparently something about my modem is either misconfigured or broken, and it was interfering with NAT? I dunno, despite being a supposed professional "computer person" this explanation doesn't quite make sense to me -- but the upshot is that I am no longer having issues.

If the dev team still wants logs and such, I can provide them; but I don't think it's necessary since this was never a problem with FGU directly (AFAIK).

Probably what was happening is a double NAT.

Your Router (from Comcast) gave an internal IP address to your router (guessing you mean Wi-Fi device), then your Wi-Fi device have a different internal IP.

So for example it might have been something similar to this:

Comcast Router (IP 192.168.0.1) > Wi-Fi ('External' IP 192.168.0.10) > Wi-Fi ('Internal' IP 192.168.1.1) > PC (IP 192.168.1.10).

Something like that anyway. It's entirely possible that both devices were trying to hand out the same address space, and that caused the issue.

Thread Information