DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Are you sure foundry has gotten out of beta? Their own web site shows the latest release as 0.7.9 on December 16th, anything with a version below 1.x is still beta to me.
    Nope I was just lookin at their release notes and noticed they dropped the beta tag. https://foundryvtt.com/releases/

But as you and Yako pointed out, they have not reached v 1.0 yet.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Nope I was just lookin at their release notes and noticed they dropped the beta tag. https://foundryvtt.com/releases/

But as you and Yako pointed out, they have not reached v 1.0 yet.
    They came out of beta when they started selling the system.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

My biggest issue so far with Foundry and (surprisingly) publishers such as Posthuman studios and R. Talsorian is their refusal or inability to maintain proper forums! Discord or Facebook groups are not at all proper replacement of good forum - you can't really search for information, you can't have focused discussion due to being chat room as irc in the past, it is not indexed by search engine, you can't easily refer something... it is not even properly structured. It is one big messy swamp of text that I no longer try to follow or want to, it is repulsive. Very bad. Having a reddit forum is to some extent OK, but not real replacement for space to gather your people.

Discord is fine for many type of communications, to be connected, but not replacement. We live in very very sad times where Facebook managed to kill many online communities and it gets harder and harder now to keep or properly search for information.

So - I am extremely happy that Fantasy Grounds has real forums and the business recognizes and understands how to use the right tools for the right purpose. Salute to Smite Works.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

The cynic in me says this was largely done to remove dual screen support from the top of the list.

So I added it to the new one.

(Yes, I know, technical obstacles, but as a GM I still think it's the most import feature missing from FG, and I would absolutely choose it above ranged lighting).

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    The cynic in me says this was largely done to remove dual screen support from the top of the list.

So I added it to the new one.

(Yes, I know, technical obstacles, but as a GM I still think it's the most import feature missing from FG, and I would absolutely choose it above ranged lighting).
    Thats a good suggestion. For reference, the link is here https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135441

It's a difficult situation but I can think of at least 1 way to resolve it. Multiple applications that communicate through an API... but, im no expert on Unity so surely there is a better way.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Well it wasn't a super easy decision to make. I have a lot invested in FG both monetary and time invested entering in stuff. But letting that hold me back is Sunk Cost Fallacy. I have switched over to Foundry. FG has a lot to reccomend it. The degree of automation that's possible (if not always realized) is pretty amazing. But it just runs too slow and hogs too many resources. I feel that FGU has been a terrible let down in that it doesn't feel like an unqualified improvement. It does run 64bit and does have a barebones LoS implementation. These were welcome changes and I expect that the LoS will continue to improve and perhaps the sluggishness and resource issues will get resolved. But the timetable for such improvements is unfortunately beyond what I personally am willing wait for. Aesthetics are subjective so this is opinion but the interface doesn't feel like a premium upgrade from classic. I wish all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mozmonar View Post
    Well it wasn't a super easy decision to make. I have a lot invested in FG both monetary and time invested entering in stuff. But letting that hold me back is Sunk Cost Fallacy. I have switched over to Foundry. FG has a lot to reccomend it. The degree of automation that's possible (if not always realized) is pretty amazing. But it just runs too slow and hogs too many resources. I feel that FGU has been a terrible let down in that it doesn't feel like an unqualified improvement. It does run 64bit and does have a barebones LoS implementation. These were welcome changes and I expect that the LoS will continue to improve and perhaps the sluggishness and resource issues will get resolved. But the timetable for such improvements is unfortunately beyond what I personally am willing wait for. Aesthetics are subjective so this is opinion but the interface doesn't feel like a premium upgrade from classic. I wish all the best.
    Oh, sad to hear that, but I hope you have fun time there with your group When you have fun playing with your group, then everything's chosen right
    Last edited by Kelrugem; February 7th, 2021 at 18:45.

We use Discord for day to day stuff in FGC, but Fisdcord does not hold long standing questions and content too well.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Regardless of Classic vs Unity, hands down, 'offline' use is my sticking point, and this community. I honestly refuse to invest in something that always requires me to have online internet access. I need to be able to work on my prep work and modules when I want to. I have good reliable internet, but it is still not enough to convince me to go cloud or web only. Giving up on FGU when it's just begun is a choice, and your choice. You can always come back someday. The token lighting is due to release anytime now. I have to admit the interface needs some overhaul work.

@The High Druid, having dual monitors is a bonus, I believe that the necessity is less than 50% of the base users probably 65/35 of 100. There was some chatter about Unity not able to support it, and then later it was mentioned it might be able to. it's very low priority, especially most people can only afford or run one screen at a time. I would be more happy if we could have a more modular view option that we could customize, lock, and set for good.

Good luck!

ps. Is there officially licensed content yet via Foundry?
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    Regardless of Classic vs Unity, hands down, 'offline' use is my sticking point, and this community. I honestly refuse to invest in something that always requires me to have online internet access. I need to be able to work on my prep work and modules when I want to. I have good reliable internet, but it is still not enough to convince me to go cloud or web only. Giving up on FGU when it's just begun is a choice, and your choice. You can always come back someday. The token lighting is due to release anytime now. I have to admit the interface needs some overhaul work.

@The High Druid, having dual monitors is a bonus, I believe that the necessity is less than 50% of the base users probably 65/35 of 100. There was some chatter about Unity not able to support it, and then later it was mentioned it might be able to. it's very low priority, especially most people can only afford or run one screen at a time. I would be more happy if we could have a more modular view option that we could customize, lock, and set for good.

Good luck!

ps. Is there officially licensed content yet via Foundry?
    There is no licenced content. Has to be leached off D&D Beyond.

Thread Information