FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 7 of 10 First ... 56789 ... Last
    Yes, we are aware, but have not pinpointed cause as Kelrugem mentioned. It's a balancing act between keeping promised features rolling, and shoring up existing capabilities and performance.

Also, please start another thread unless it is specifically related to the exact same issue. It keeps the troubleshooting cleaner for all issues.

Thanks,
    JPG

I have had the same issue since I started using FGU. Periodically the program will freeze, becoming totally unresponsive for 2 to 15 seconds or so. The freezes come more frequently when there is a map open with LOS and or other FX going. Having lots of tokens on the map also seems to have an effect. At this point I'm loving FGU but the lag thing is the only major downside. Please Fix!

Just logged in after months of not playing due to this bug. Still no movement. Sad that I spent this much money on what was a very good platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Howell View Post
    I have had the same issue since I started using FGU. Periodically the program will freeze, becoming totally unresponsive for 2 to 15 seconds or so. The freezes come more frequently when there is a map open with LOS and or other FX going. Having lots of tokens on the map also seems to have an effect. At this point I'm loving FGU but the lag thing is the only major downside. Please Fix!
    I have seen the same issue!

I noticed that the GPU drops to 0% for the time the system is frozen even though I am no where near full GPU usage or memory usage before the event. This seems to correspond to a disk write action that is very brief and can be seen in prefect sync with the lag event.

I have it happening both in Windows and Linux (Fedora).

GPU load drops down because the CPU (single core) is overload and not feeding the GPU any data in this moment. Disk access, garbage collection or general memory related operation could well be it. My personal lags are too short and in quick succession to pinpoint it down to such an event, but something as big as shown in the videos should be measurable more easily.

Interesting. My setup is:
    Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    Memory, standard 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    Video graphics Intel® UHD Graphics 620 Integrated (8 GB shared)

So, I am not sure it is a single core issue for me as I have 4 but maybe that is still not enough. I always assumed it is the low video card but not seeing the usage maxed so not sure it is even getting close to being pushed to the limit.

The behavior looks like the CPU gets busy doing something (maybe working with the disk) and stops sending info to the GPU. Then it takes a beat for the GPU to fire back up? I will watch the CPU traffic to see if there is a tie in.

Quote Originally Posted by nephranka View Post
    So, I am not sure it is a single core issue for me as I have 4 but maybe that is still not enough. I always assumed it is the low video card but not seeing the usage maxed so not sure it is even getting close to being pushed to the limit.
    From what I've read in these forums, the version of LUA that FGU is using is single-threaded, so it doesn't matter how many cores you have. It'll just use one.

And I have the same impression as you... it seems related to disk access, or possibly whatever processing it's doing to prepare to save. Oddly, I never see this pop up during live games (maybe because my "live" campaign is only 2.2 MB right now?), but when I'm working on large modules (usually once they reach about 5 MB of data), I'll get periodic freezes that seem to correlate to when it autosaves. The larger the DB gets, the longer the freezes seem to become. I'm running off a m.2 SSD so it's not like the drive is slow, but those hangs can get pretty long, and we're only talking 10-15 MB of data.
    Last edited by Sterno; April 12th, 2021 at 15:41.

FGU's Lua mostly only runs on a single core, except for the network part and maybe some other minor stuff.

As far as I can tell the db.xml file is saved every 5 minutes. No idea if there are specific events that make it save in between?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    From what I've read in these forums, the version of LUA that FGU is using is single-threaded, so it doesn't matter how many cores you have. It'll just use one.

And I have the same impression as you... it seems related to disk access. Oddly, I never see this pop up during live games (maybe because my "live" campaign is only 2.2 MB right now?), but when I'm working on large modules (usually once they reach about 5 MB of data), I'll get periodic freezes that seem to correlate to when it autosaves. The larger the DB gets, the longer the freezes seem to become. I'm running off a m.2 SSD so it's not like the drive is slow, but those hangs can get pretty long, and we're only talking 10-15 MB of data.
    I too have a m.2 SSD, so I thought it would not be an issue...
    Last edited by nephranka; April 12th, 2021 at 20:38. Reason: Found the answer after a little search on the forums.

Thread Information