FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 5 of 10 First ... 34567 ... Last

Well that's the thing if you look at the video it gets progressively worse. So it starts very small and grows but it doesn't seem to go over 3 seconds every 30-45 seconds. I would think with the few mods (7) that I loaded more people would be seeing this and I would love to blame my machine but testing across a multitude of machines on different hardware and different internet providers (I am a sys admin and have that kind of stuff at my disposal) using the same test in the same order produces the same results. I even loaded a VM on a flash array san with an Nvidia Grid GPU array to try and see if I could throw a ton of hardware at it and got the exact same results.

I also in testing today kept the console window open the whole time as not to confuse campaign saving lag (not a big deal) with the lag I am seeing and to see if there were any messages and saw nothing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycholiquid71 View Post
    Here is my folder in size:

Images = 1.00 GB (8270 Files)
    Tokens = 4.95 MB (60 Files)
    Portraits = 2.62 MB (12 Files)

Please know that I keep these in the data folders root not the campaign folder as I like to use them across other campaigns and it just makes it easier, if this is wrong please let me know.

Attachment 43320
    Are you running with your data folder on a flash drive? If so, can you try moving your settings to another drive and see if you can recreate it with the same campaign?

Yes I tried that multiple times on multiple computers didn't make a difference.

I also did it with a clean data folder, most of my tests were performed with a clean install.
    Last edited by Psycholiquid71; February 9th, 2021 at 13:05.

I was editing a map yesterday, I too have loads of assets (4gb in the images folder, 2.9gb in the tokens folder) and I was getting regular freezes (I didn't time it). I had an SSD with windows sitting on it, so I cleaned that up (yay, get lost Windows) and formatted it and put all of FantasyGrounds Unity on that SSD - so far today the issues of freezing have not recurred today. I did have the App and Data folders on a normal 2TB HD before. I might put the FG App data on the NME drive and leave the data on the SSD to see if that improves it.

Like I said I threw it all on a Flash array, this is a bank of SSHD HDDs that work in tandem to allow for a great amount of speed. Made no difference. With a clean install and nothin in the assets folders I was able to do what the video shows. Fundamentally something is wrong I just want to get to the bottom of it so I can resolve it and move on. I love this software and have sunk a lot of money into it already.

Its just really annoying trying to DM a game to have to say hold on every 45 seconds to wait for the game to unfreeze.

The main thing being I am testing with a clean install of FGU on multiple machines all using the same test data to replicate the results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycholiquid71 View Post
    The main thing being I am testing with a clean install of FGU on multiple machines all using the same test data to replicate the results.
    Thanks, this is helpful information. We are trying to figure out where the bottlenecks might be happening. You seem to have a repeatable, significant event that is happening for you which does not seem to be the case for most other users. I am not simply trying to point the finger away from our coding at all, but it seems likely that there is some common setup that you do that might be different than what other people do that could be linked to the issue. It's kind of like how we sometimes get more networking issues with more sophisticated network engineers because they've modified their systems in some way that is non-standard. One issue I remember is that FG Classic had problems binding to the proper NIC when people had multiple network cards and the first one was disabled.

Are there any OS level services running in the background that might possibly interact with the data files while they are in use by FGU?

Some things which might help to track it down:
    1. Start off with a blank install of FGU and no external assets or extensions
    2. Don't run on a VM
    3. Run a local copy only with no players connected
    4. Make sure the install location is on a typical SSD or HD and no automated backup, OneDrive/GoogleDoc style cloning is running on that location
    5. When running local, try temporarily disabling A/V or File Protection features.
    6. Like #5, but add an exception to the data folder

Look in the Resource Monitor to see if any spikes for sub-systems correlate with the slowdowns. Do you see activity spikes for the GPU at that time, the disk, network, etc?

Are there any OS level services running in the background that might possibly interact with the data files while they are in use by FGU?

None at this time. I just formatted in hopes that maybe my OS (2 years running without format) was the issue. So other than minecraft, discord, FGU and drivers that is all I have right now. (Keep in mind the VMs I tried this on had nothing but VMtools drivers and FGU)

Some things which might help to track it down:
    1. Start off with a blank install of FGU and no external assets or extensions
    Did this one three machines with all the same results. If you see the video that is what that is.

2. Don't run on a VM
    Tried on VMs and physical Laptops and workstations.

3. Run a local copy only with no players connected
    Tried that also with same result.

4. Make sure the install location is on a typical SSD or HD and no automated backup, OneDrive/GoogleDoc style cloning is running on that location.
    I am positive it is local and not part of a backup routine.

5. When running local, try temporarily disabling A/V or File Protection features.
    I have at this time turned off all AV and Firewalls on all machines I have tried this I have also for run reset my router to defaults after making a backup to see if that may cause it. I also took it out of the mix and went straight into my cable modem to see if that would fix it.

6. Like #5, but add an exception to the data folder
    I haven't tried this but I will right now.

Look in the Resource Monitor to see if any spikes for sub-systems correlate with the slowdowns. Do you see activity spikes for the GPU at that time, the disk, network, etc?

The only thing I have seen in resource manger is a GPU drop to 0% when it happens. I have also wiresharked and I don't see any adverse network traffic that correlates with the lag (I really hate calling it that because it isn't lag persay)

Thread Information