FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Missing special abilities

I noticed while going over the ranger class that the special abilities for the ranger haven't been implemented yet in the paid version of the Basic Core Rules. Specifically FAVORED ENEMY and FAVORED TERRAIN. I have not checked all the other classes yet but I noticed the mage and cleric are mostly complete.

Sincerely Aramis

They're both in the Ranger class record as Class Features. They get added to the Class Abilities section of the character sheet when the Ranger class is dragged to the PC sheet at the appropriate level.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You have got to be kidding me. This has no more functionality than reading the book itself. I didn't buy the VTT book to become a coder. This is a basic ranger ability. It should be included like the cleric domains special abilities are. I don't understand why they complete some things and don't finish others. If this is a work in progress I can accept such a response but if this is what the finished version is, then it sucks and is unacceptable. I would understand if it was a add on or something that you wanted to add like a mod but not a basic ability for a character class.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis Dante View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. This has no more functionality than reading the book itself. I didn't buy the VTT book to become a coder. This is a basic ranger ability. It should be included like the cleric domains special abilities are. I don't understand why they complete some things and don't finish others. If this is a work in progress I can accept such a response but if this is what the finished version is, then it sucks and is unacceptable. I would understand if it was a add on or something that you wanted to add like a mod but not a basic ability for a character class.
    What do you mean with the cleric domains and special abilities? You want to have it listed in the special abilities sidebar, too? (I honestly do not know what the standard definition with that sidebar button is, I honestly do not really use it)

And you can automate those things by using effects But these abilities won't add the effects automatically when you expected that, that would be a very big task to add (given the amount of abilities and feats). And then those would be needed to be updated each time something with the effects change (like new options etc.). FG is automatable, but is not automating everything on its own without configuring the initial data like effects etc (though there is some parser for spells). One may even argue that this is due to allow that one can still play manually if one wants to (but the technical reason is the mentioned big amount of abilities and feats etc. one would need to implement in the programme, such that FG is really completely parsing everything without needing you to write the effects)
    Last edited by Kelrugem; January 29th, 2021 at 21:56.

I'm not sure what you mean with the comparison to the cleric domain abilitites. When adding the first level of cleric or ranger, this is what is added to the Abilities tab:
    cleric_ranger.png

Capture.PNG Ok, This pic should show you what I mean. The clerics have individual domains, and then its further sub divided into special abilities. The ranger doesn't even get this, not even one special ability entry. Now where I am/was wrong, was I thought that these special abilities were coded so when you added them to a character sheet, that it would add them in the calculations for combat. This is not the case. I would still have to add an effect for these as well even though they are listed as a special ability. I don't know guys, it just seems that they, meaning whoever codes these things should have done so, or at least provide a few examples for each case. My frustration comes, from the fact that I am not a coder, and I thought that when I bought FGU and its supplements that what I thought were the basics, Like the Basic Core Rules, that those would have at least been implemented. Am I mad about it no, am I frustrated, yes. I want to play, I want to DM. But instead I am finding that I have to learn how to code, no matter the complexity, instead of play. Here is another example; Capture1.PNG Why couldn't they have done this. All the traps are there, and there are only about 20 of them. My option, is either buy a third party extension or learn to code. I have watched numerous videos but again, a lot of them are for 5e AD&D or some other ruleset, and they don't always translate to 3.5. If your going to advertise that you support a ruleset then you should do so. In your defense, everyone has been super nice and helpful, and also quick to respond, but I hope you can understand were I am coming from. I wouldn't mind coding if it was something I wanted to add myself, but to have to learn this in addition to a ruleset is stretching it quite a bit I think. I understand that FGU is new, and I notice that a lot of additions are made, especially after commenting on them in the forums, like now. Please, understand I think you all are great, and helpful, and I wish only the best for Fantasy Grounds, I just hope they can help those of us who don't code into making this an even better format than what it already is. Most Sincerely and appreciatively Aramis.

Blog Entries
    Every ruleset is coded by different developers and was done at different times.
    Some rulesets sell hundreds of times more volume than other systems.
    Some systems are orders of magnitude more complex than others.
    There will always be a difference in capability and completeness between different rulesets.
    All rulesets are "works in progress" to some extent. Pretty much all of them receive at least some updates every year, some receive hundreds and hundreds of updates.

Short answer: Pathfinder 1 does not have and will not ever have 5E level of features.

Smiteworks have a 30 day refund policy if something isnt working out for you.

Nice to know after the fact. I am not a coder, some warning or clue that that would be a requirement to use this system would have been nice. Also I am new to VTT in general and Fantasy Grounds specifically and it isn't fair to cop off and say you can get a refund. I appreciate you explaining how the fantasy grounds team works and I have noticed updates as well. But to tell a customer that he is basically S.O.L because he didn't buy the system everyone else is working on isn't very encouraging either. I would like to think that they have someone continually working on this. It seems they do, because I have seen updates I just wanted to let someone know their is still work to be done here. I have also watched your videos damned on youtube. A little above my skill level, but interesting none the less. I am not interested in a refund, however, I invested heavily into pathfinder 1E. If it means I have to learn code, I will do my best, but I would much rather had been able to play than add things that could have been implemented. It looked like some of the things were placeholders until they could get around to them, so it is my hope that they will eventually get to them. I guess what started all this was I played my first game as a player to get to know the system and I was politely and firmly asked to make my own effects for the character I was playing! So it's not just me. Anyways, thanks for responding so quickly. I do love this community for that. Take care keep up the good work, (I mean that sincerely), and hopefully I will see more updates in the future. Sincerely Aramis

Blog Entries
    Hi Aramis

There are many things that you buy that never receive any updates.
    There are also things that you buy that do get updates.
    And there are also many things that you buy that you get updates for if you buy the updates.

Pathfinder is one of the most complex RPG systems out there. There are so many rules, so many exceptions to rules and so many exceptions to exceptions to rules.
    Its what draws so many people to Pathfinder.
    But it makes it pretty much impossible to code everything in for.
    Especially for the revenue that is on offer.
    It is what it is.

This is taken from a post by Trenloe in 2015 and it shows how he does Favored Enemy effects

IFT: TYPE(dragon); ATK:2; DMG:2

See the [creature type] entry in the conditional modifiers section of the effects Wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...onal_Operators

This will only cover actions that are targeted on a creature (attacks, damage, etc.). It won't cover skill checks.
    Now me personally - I hardly ever use effects myself. It is up to me and the others at the table to remember what skills and abilities I have and when they can be used. Fantasy Grounds does not claim to automate everything for you and as above it is never going to. Even 5E has hundreds of things that are not automated out of the box (or at all). Its not practical and in many cases not possible.

I get you are frustrated. But I think that FG offers a lot - even though it doesnt do it all.
    Use the Site Search above to find info - there is a lot of info available.

Keep having fun - dont let minor things stop you enjoying your time gaming with friends.

So, to add: It is unlikely that PF1/3.5e gets a lot of significant updates in their ruleset in the next time I think, like new automation of that kind. Moon Wizard is the dev of 3.5e/PF1, but you probably know that he is heavily invested into other FGU related things 5e people also already sometimes complained that there were no updates for automation anymore (besides the character wizard), such that 5e probably is the first focus when the official rulesets get updated again.

(but who knows, the next update is pretty big, a lot of ruleset-specific stuff might be in it)

Damned is right that 5e has of course more focus, but I can tell you that 3.5e/PF1 has nearly the same sort of automation. The problem is: 5e is simpler, way simpler, it looks of course more complete with the same set of automation. (Here and there are differences of course, but once one knows one ruleset one knows the other one pretty well, too, in my opinion)

For example: In 5e you also need to add all effects etc. on your own for such abilities, or you buy modules from community devs who did that (so, non-official modules). Here the modules of such kind are free, it could be already well-be that someone already did that.

I understand that you are frustrated with the amount of learning FG. Let me tell you that this is especially also a feeling one gets because one wants to learn all the shiny things which one normally never faces when playing at a table or on Roll20 etc. because there you do not have those shiny things, and then you're not bothered by them. The solution is henceforth to keep it small at the beginning. Prepare your session as if you would prepare for a table, that is, without any automation. You can play completely manually in FG if you want. You do not need to use targeting systems and effects etc.
    But if you find time, then slowly add small effects and stuff for automation Just as much as you have time for. In that way you slowly learn by time Maybe even ask your players to prepare their own automation for their characters

Thread Information