STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
    Distance between tokens is a pretty clear definition. The space between the 2 tokens.

The 10 ft line is the distance between the tokens.

Distance from center of token to center of another token would, I expect, be called something else.

That's the line of 20 ft.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

My humble interpretation of this...

getTokensWithinDistance(token, #) -> (table of tokens) -> this should get all tokens that have some portion of their space included within the radius from the center of the provided token
    getDistanceBetween(token, token) -> (number/nil) -> I see this as the number of units distance from the center of one token to the center of the closest square of another, or vice-versa. If I am in a 5' square with a 5' reach, then the token next to me is considered within 5' of me, regardless of its size
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Distance between tokens is a pretty clear definition. The space between the 2 tokens.

The 10 ft line is the distance between the tokens.

Distance from center of token to center of another token would, I expect, be called something else.

That's the line of 20 ft.
    It would require a 15' reach to hit that dragon
    aka Laendra

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

The distances will be calculated as center of grid square to center of grid square distances. Since large creatures take up more than one grid square, the closest is used for distance calculations. (In the example picture above, this would be 15.) These APIS should work the same; and I will be updating them as soon as I get time.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The distances will be calculated as center of grid square to center of grid square distances. Since large creatures take up more than one grid square, the closest is used for distance calculations. (In the example picture above, this would be 15.) These APIS should work the same; and I will be updating them as soon as I get time.

Regards,
    JPG
    Just curious, will it understand and handle the variant for diagonal measurement in 5e if it is set to Variant?
    aka Laendra

It will be whatever the values are for the image, which are based on the ruleset settings. It should be identical to what is displayed on the distance arrows, once fixed.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post

Regards,
    JPG
    That's unfortunate and means I'll have to keep my own version of distance adjustments for size of tokens.

It seems odd to me to measure from the center of a creature and not it's edge when referring to distance to a thing. When I measure distance between walls, I measure the outside edge of one wall to the outside edge of the other.

Without an edge to edge measurement auras will not work properly when they are suppose to have say a 10 ft radius. If you have a very large creature, the aura wouldn't even get out of it's own space.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

That's unfortunate and means I'll have to keep my own version of distance adjustments for size of tokens.

It seems odd to me to measure from the center of a creature and not it's edge when referring to distance to a thing. When I measure distance between walls, I measure the outside edge of one wall to the outside edge of the other.

Without an edge to edge measurement auras will not work properly when they are suppose to have say a 10 ft radius. If you have a very large creature, the aura wouldn't even get out of it's own space.
    See I read that totally different. If you have a large creature with a 10ft aura, it starts from the center of the closest square of the icon to the target being measured. Adjacent square would be 5 ft, and next square out would be 10 ft. This way you would look to the center of the square being "covered" If the effect doesn't extend that far, I would rule that it doesn't affect
    aka Laendra

Blog Entries
    If you have a very large creature, the aura wouldn't even get out of it's own space.
    Just curious... how would you expect that particular case to work?

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    See I read that totally different. If you have a large creature with a 10ft aura, it starts from the center of the closest square of the icon to the target being measured. Adjacent square would be 5 ft, and next square out would be 10 ft. This way you would look to the center of the square being "covered" If the effect doesn't extend that far, I would rule that it doesn't affect
    Still, it's not the distance between the tokens, it's the distance between inner token space, not between. Infact, with the inability of FGU to measure half-square slots (FGC did) it would probably make matters more difficult to calculate.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Just curious... how would you expect that particular case to work?
    It was a point to better define distance measurements. Not so much how auras work. In this particular case if the dragon was huge, took up larger than normal space and had a 5ft aura it wouldn't extend beyond his own token if you measured it from center of token.
    ---

Thread Information