5E Character Create Playlist
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678
    You should not override this. If the GM has specifically changed the distance calculation to what they want in their game; why would you override it for your internal distance calculation? That just means that your distance calculation does not equal the GM's expected distance calculation.

Regards,
    JPG

I think the GM expects to get the right modifier in terms of the underlying PnP.
    I am not on the "allow everyone to shoot themselves in the foot" side.

The philosophical stance aside, I am quite sure people would prefer the right modifier instead of message "this setting of the distance disables the following features x,y,z".
    The PnP has a bad handling of distances on battlemaps, it has strange effects.
    I will implement a option to disable "the correction of wrong imagecontrol settings". People can choose to shoot themself in the foot if they really want to.
    But for the others which want the ruleset to automated the ugly calculations of the PnP away, I want to do this.
    And I kind of know my users, a couple will click the controls just because they are there.

I believe you are looking at this wrong.

You set up the ruleset to map to the ruleset rules in FG; and the GM has control whether to override those rules in their own maps. If they choose to use a different distance calculation, why do you care? There is no reason to "enforce" your "correction" on GMs.

Just use the distance as returned by the map "as is"; and apply whatever automation goes with those distances. Don't try to "fix" things; just apply it.

Most users won't even bother changing the units; so not sure why this is such a concern.

Regards,
    JPG

It is a bit more complicated than just raw or not raw. I simplified it here. Always using the shown distance really does not give you the right results in every circumstance except the GM between melee and range rolls.

But ok we will not agree here.

I will use my own distance calculations, if the users pprefer it otherwise the will let me know.

In my experience is that people will change settings because they can and than complain that stuff doesn't work anymore. Already happened even if the option tooltips says what the effect will be.

I think everything is said.
    Last edited by Weltenbrand; March 18th, 2021 at 19:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    For rulesets, the following tag will set the raw distance calculation as the default:
    <distance>
    <diagmult>*</diagmult>
    </distance>

For API interactions, the following call will set the current map to raw distance calculation:
    imagecontrol.setDistanceDiagMult("*");

There is no way to "block" GMs from changing to what they want using the image control panel. This is by design, and you should not subvert the GM from changing to what they want for their own games.

Regards,
    JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Thanks for the details. The <distance></distance> bit goes in the base.xml I presume? Does it need to reside in a specific section or it's own under root? I attempted the latter and it didn't seem to work for me.
    This has gotten lost in this discussion so want to repost/bump.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltenbrand View Post
    Gameelements.xml
    Oh wow, duh, thanks I almost never touch that so never remember it.

For what it's worth tho it's still not setting that on for me. Checking map and it's still 10 across when ti's half-way unless I toggle the raw distance option (which I thought would be set by the change). I'll dig around. Actually I've a good idea what this is, the campaign settings ... yep.
    Last edited by celestian; March 18th, 2021 at 20:09.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodie View Post
    Oh wow, so will this import Hero Labs Online?
    I want this too, hell I'd settle for OG herolab support again now that it's no longer in development. but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with this update.

These APIs have been moved to the developer API reference wiki. Again, please note that these are for FGU only.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...+API+Reference

Closing the thread for now. If you have specific issues with the APIs, please post in Workshop or House of Healing forums.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information