STAR TREK 2d20

Add Fate Dice to Savage Worlds

I want to add a Fate dice to the Savage Worlds rule set. I tried the following code in a file in the extensions folder. The Fate dice does show up next to the d4, but I am unable to roll it and the chat command "/die 1dF" doesn't work.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
    	Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
    	attribution and copyright information.
    -->

<root version="3.0">
    	<properties>
    		<name>Feature: SWADE - Add Fate Dice</name>
    		<version>1</version>
    		<author>Wzrd</author>
    		<description>Add Fate dice to Savage Worlds</description>
    		<ruleset>
    			<name>SavageWorlds</name>
    		</ruleset>
    		<ruleset>
    			<name>SWD</name>
    		</ruleset>
    	</properties>
    	<announcement text="Add Fate Dice" font="emotefont" icon="wildcard" />
    	<base>
    		<die name="dF">
    			<icon>d6icon</icon>
    			<position>500,-78</position>
    		</die>
    	</base>
    </root>

I ended up going into the GameSettings.xml file of SavageWorlds.pak, removing the line that disabled it and adding the following above the d4 entry. That worked and I am able to roll the Fate dice by dragging it and by using a chat command.

Code:

<die name="dF">
    	<icon>d6icon</icon>
    	<position>500,-78</position>
    </die>

I would prefer to create an extension to do this then having to modify the rule set. Is there something else I need to do to make it work?

Blog Entries
    MOD: moved to Workshop/Extensions since that is where those who can help hang out to discuss these types of issues.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Gday Wzrd

Download a simple extension - a font extension for example and look at the structure.

Basically you need an [B]extension.xml[B] file and everything else is optional from there.
    You would recreate your GameSettings.xml file and include it in the extension.xml

I used a font extension as an example and copied it to create the extension.xml which is simply:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <root version="3.0">
    	<properties>
    		<name>Add Fate Dice</name>
    		<version>1</version>
    		<author>Wzrd</author>
    		<description>Add Fate dice to Savage Worlds</description>
    	</properties>
    	<announcement text="Add Fate Dice" font="chatfont" />
    	<base>
    		<includefile source="gameelements.xml" />
    	</base>
    </root>
    I have copied the "gameelements.xml" file from the SavageWorlds.pac, removed the element that deletes the dF and added an entry for dF as it appears in Fate Core. I added this modified "gameelements.xml" to the extension folder.

Same problem as last time. The Fate dice appears on the desktop, but dragging it to the chat window just produces an empty line with no dice animation.

I'm wondering if "includefile" in the extension is the correct way to overwrite the "gameelements.xml" that comes with SavageWorlds.pac or is this where I am going wrong?

Blog Entries
    Use CoreRPG as your example but at its simplest you just need to remove the line that deletes the dF - the other lines just position better.
    I just tested it and it works.

So does that mean I have to go into "SavageWorlds.pak" and edit the "GameSettings.xml" file and remove the line that deletes the dF every time there is an update?

I was hoping that I could use an extension to do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hmmm it seems that the delete command is messing something else up....
    Yeah, I would guess when the CoreRPG initializes, it sees the delete and for efficiency excludes the required code for the dF. So when the extension comes it adds the dF visually, but the underlying code isn't in memory and the dF doesn't behave as expected.

Thank you for spending the time helping me, appreciated. I will log a bug and see where that gets me.

Thread Information