FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unity map issue or question.

Is there a way to have a map in unity I can update without having to rename to reupload. I have a campaign I am running and it is a custom world. As the players find new cities and places of interest I edit the map and put the poi or city on the map. In classic I could just put a map back in the folder with the same name as the previous and it would show up when the players logged in, It would have the updated map with new info on it. The problem I am having is unity wont let me do that for some reason. When I upload the map to the folder it shows on my end that the map has been updated but on the players side it shows the old map. The only way I can get the new map to show up on the players side is to rename it something different and share it again, but it is going to get a bit annoying to have to do this every time I update the map and I will also have "world map 11565484641.jpg" by the time we are done. It is also going to make a cluttered mess of the listings on the players side if I have to keep uploading with a different name.

Thx,
    Phill

Blog Entries
    Map it natively in FGU?

Otherwise you can update it, but you don't want to change the overall size (pixels) of the map. Keep those the same. I think you will have to unshare and reshare the map while all players are connected.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would rather not use FG to up date or edit maps at this point I think it is kind of to little to late for that, but that is for another post I wont be writing. I have attempted to update with everyone online, everyone off, deleting the old map instead of overwriting, unshare, reshare, I have a tech background so I have done the most obvious things. Kind of at a loss at this point.

I think you'll need to get your players to delete their cache files before joining you in order for the new map to update. I think the issue is that the map has the same name; so I'm guessing that it is looking for that name and if it finds it it doesn't do anything else.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Yep, agree with Mr Z. Sounds like FGU is only using filename to base cache updates on and not size/date or other indicators. Therefore only way would be to have players delete cache.

Maybe one of the devs can verify the indended behavior.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by pdegrand View Post
    Is there a way to have a map in unity I can update without having to rename to reupload. I have a campaign I am running and it is a custom world. As the players find new cities and places of interest I edit the map and put the poi or city on the map. In classic I could just put a map back in the folder with the same name as the previous and it would show up when the players logged in, It would have the updated map with new info on it. The problem I am having is unity wont let me do that for some reason. When I upload the map to the folder it shows on my end that the map has been updated but on the players side it shows the old map. The only way I can get the new map to show up on the players side is to rename it something different and share it again, but it is going to get a bit annoying to have to do this every time I update the map and I will also have "world map 11565484641.jpg" by the time we are done. It is also going to make a cluttered mess of the listings on the players side if I have to keep uploading with a different name.

Thx,
    Phill
    After you edit the map, open the Assets window and click the Reload icon (last icon on the right)

reload.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    After you edit the map, open the Assets window and click the Reload icon (last icon on the right)

reload.png
    Unfortunately, in my testing, that doesn't work for the player.

As the OP mentioned, the GM can see the new image file fine. It's just that the player cache, as eluded to above, appears to not update new/modified files of the same filename.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Then un share and re share should fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Then un share and re share should fix it?
    Nope. The only thing that currently appears to fix this issue is what Zacchaeus mentioned above, clear the cache on each of the player computers - not really much of an option. Or, as the OP mentions, use a different name for the base file. Again, not a great solution.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 14th, 2021 at 21:17.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Not much of a question asker, usually figure it out for myself but this was a last ditch effort for an answer. I'll keep hoping I figure out a better way but I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions.

Thread Information