Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

No switching out of FG to another program.

Summary: FG continually errors after switching out to another problem

Ruleset(s): 5e

Extensions/Themes: No 3rd party (Decals only)

Modules Loaded:
    fgmodules.png

Operating System: Windows 10

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Create a new 5e campaign.
    2) Load the modules listed
    3) Open another program that will cover a significant portion (>= 30%) of FG.
    4) Using the taskbar, switch back to FG, then back to the other program, then back to FG

At this point you should see a series of console errors. Generally, initially:
    Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED
    Runtime Error: Exception: bad allocation

After this point, any interaction with FG will generate more console errors.
    The only solution is to exit the program, minimize/exit the other program, and restart FG.

Analysis: The problem is apparently "Descent Into Avernus", removing the module removes the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

"I am not a number! I am a free man!" - No. 6

6 editions of D&D (5+BECMI) GM and Player
    Running a PF2e Fantasy Grounds game

Not displayed. They may be loaded, but I can load more through other modules and it doesn't cause issues.
    --

How big is your RAM usage? FGC is a 32-bit programme, so, RAM usage over 3.2 GB becomes critical; you may have loaded or shared too many images (and tokens as Damned mentioned)

This is with a new campaign and NO players/clients. No shared images.

Footprint is 635 MiB.
    --

From the loaded modules, approx. 1200.

However, I've safely loaded *lots* more tokens before.
    --

I''m not seeing this and I cannot reproduce.

The error you are getting looks like a graphics driver or DX9 error possibly. Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date and if you are on a laptop make sure FG is using your graphics card and not the built in graphics on the motherboard.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

This appears on some computers, depending on their graphics driver and how it handles the old DX9 libraries. It happens when the DX9 content (FG uses DX9) is no longer being displayed. It used to happen a lot when FG was minimized - hence why the ability to minimize FG was removed in FG Classic.

It's annoying, but you can ignore the D3D errors. Or you can try changing your graphics driver (newer or older version).

As an aside - if you just get "bad allocation" errors on their own (without D3D errors) then that's different and is related to memory use.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the info about the DX9 issues. And the minimization issues explains much.

Aside from all of that, however, is that once the errors start appearing, they never stop, and prevent me from doing *anything* within FG (aside from exiting).

If it is an issue between builtin video and video card, how would I fix that within FG?

Update:
    I've installed DX9, which has taken care of those errors.

However, I am still getting the Bad Alloc errors - in an otherwise empty campaign, with only the Library window open (not the module window, just the basic Library), on a system with over 30 GiB (31.8 free GiB) of RAM, and using an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super.

Currently running:
    Firefox (one tab, this exact forum): 588 MB
    Settings (About Tab): 23 MB
    File Explorer: 77 MB
    FG itself: 3579 MB

Assorted system processes (including Task Manager) bring the used RAM up to 12.3 GB out of 32 GB.

I don't know what's going on underneath the covers, but it sure looks like there's lots of memory available.
    Last edited by GuardianLurker; January 10th, 2021 at 21:06.
    --

Thread Information