STAR TREK 2d20

Combat box buttons

I had at first thought that I had a bug in THAC0 box placement (I HATE MANUAL PLACEMENT! hehe - will be trying the Ruleset Wizard for that after done with the MoreCore extension first) because each time I clicked in one of the input oval-rectangles, it looked like there was another control behind it. Turns out it is same for all boxes so not just my Thac0.

Then checked MoreCore vanilla. I'm guessing now that it is an FG UI element and combined it with some graphic frame? Is there a way to avoid that - by for example my defining the text box to be a certain size to match it exactly?

Blog Entries
    Varsuuk I have a feeling that you ought to consider porting your project to a CoreRPG based one rather than MoreCore. I dont know how much MoreCore you are retaining and if not using substantial amounts of it you might be making your life harder?

EDIT: TLDR="Nah, I'd never be this far along in 1/3 the time of last thing if not for MoreCore's plumbing and framework "

----

No, I'm not rolling much at all - I am using MoreCore cos of the framework speeding it greatly and "easing me" into the pool

I started on a similar project but I am much more ahead when did the scaled down "White Box" version at another person's request. He thought it would be faster and he was right - it's just that it isn't anywhere as simple as he thought - if we want actions to be automated and if not, then I am not interested in making it

Which is why I am reading the guts of MoreCore as I go - since I plan to learn from it and take parts that work from it like I planned to do from 2E/5E when the time comes for the next thing.

The Text window thing was something. thought I misdid since I did a bunch of "UI element swapping" based on options like ASC/DESC AC and thought I superimposed something. So, I wanted to know if there was a "best fit" setting - cos I don't mind expanding the input box or shrinking the frame (if it IS a frame - I haven't looked) to fit the input box (yeah, don't know what to call it )

It works fine as it is - it's not even something I'm making for me - the person who wants it is WAY less picky than I am and I shouldn't be over engineering even to the limited degree I am - but I'm having fun this way learning stuff.

Like - sure, I could put windows up with +1 due to str, and you hit the += button before rolling a /thac0 style roller - that fits his requirements. But I cannot imagine having to do it in 2 steps each time. Others are cool with it - I want it "automatic", so I did the thing in /swac0 (which now works after the decision to use the "|" terminator - it isn't "pretty" but it is under the covers and an example of balancing easy MoreCore-supplied functionality with a little bit of automation specific to my ruleset.
    Last edited by Varsuuk; January 7th, 2021 at 00:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    I'm guessing now that it is an FG UI element and combined it with some graphic frame? Is there a way to avoid that - by for example my defining the text box to be a certain size to match it exactly?
    Remove the <frame> entry from the control or control template - either create a new template, remove the <frame> using merge rules, or use a control definition/template that doesn't have the frame.

See <frame> in the Definition section here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia.../windowcontrol
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'll take a look at what it looks like sans-frame and pick whichever works prettiest (subjectively ). Thanks.

You still want to have the indicator that a number field has been selected for editing. So, if it's an editable number field, see what you can do with the settings - particularly the frame offset. But you should still have some form of visible indicator that the field has been selected.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information