STAR TREK 2d20

I bought the Ravenloft classic D&D adventure, should I buy the 2E core rulebooks?

I'm unsure if I need the Player's Handbook, or if it would even give any benefit at all, just to run Ravenloft? It seems that the core ruleset is included free with Fantasy Grounds, so what does the 2E core rulebook series get me or how does it benefit me if it's not required? Will it make it easier for me to run? Will it make it possible for my players to create characters with additional options that are more in line with what they want to be? Or are they totally superfluous for running an adventure like this one?

There's no D&D 2E OGL/SRD data in Fantasy Grounds - as there wasn't an SRD for D&D 2e. Therefore, without the PHB you won't have any class records, spells, items, etc. within Fantasy Grounds. You can enter all of that data manually, but it will be a lot of work. So, yes, it will be much easier for you to run a campaign with the PHB. It's debatable if you need the DMG and MM as most, if not all, of the magic items and NPCs needed should be included in the adventure. Of course, if you want to change things or add things to the adventure then the DMG and/or MM could come in handy.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the answers guys! Unfortunately I let the deal lapse before I realized that I needed the PHB but I guess I'll just pay $20 for it or wait until the next sale. Good to know that I will be needing it though, appreciate the info.

I'm in the same place you are. I have Haunted Halls and Ravenloft. I bought PHB plus the Fighter Companion. I am debating on whether I really need the DMG. So if you pick that one up I would like to hear your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by bayne7400 View Post
    I'm in the same place you are. I have Haunted Halls and Ravenloft. I bought PHB plus the Fighter Companion. I am debating on whether I really need the DMG. So if you pick that one up I would like to hear your feedback.
    DMG contains the text of the book plus it has all the tables for automated treasure generation and all the magic items.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    DMG contains the text of the book plus it has all the tables for automated treasure generation and all the magic items.
    These tables are really worth it and so are the magic items because they have effects etc... already configured for you. A big time saver.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I narrowly missed out on the recent sale before I decided I wanted to buy the 2e core rules products after all, by the time I had come to my decision, the sale was over. About how often do these kinds of sales happen? I have no imminent plans to begin a 2e campaign, it's just something I want to have in my back pocket for a future campaign at some point, so I have no problem waiting, as it's really not a "need' for me, but more of a "nice to have the option", so I'd prefer to wait until the next sale, unless sales like that rarely happen, in which case I'd consider buying at full price. I apologize if this makes me come off as cheap, but money is not flowing as it once did so I have to be more vigilant about how I choose to spend.

We all wait for sales no need to apologize. I would check every week. There is always something on sale at the store.

Blog Entries
    Store wide sales tend to happen twice a year - in line with the Steam Summer and Winter sales events.
    There is always something on sale - subscribe to the newsletter to get updates.

Thread Information