FG Spreadshirt Swag

Where to put special abilities for a new monster type

For my new Pathfinder campaign, I'm creating NPC records for some of the monsters that are in the 3.5e Monster Manual that aren't in the SRD. Most of it is going fine, but I can't figure out where to create new special abilities so that I can link to them in the monster entries.

I'll use the existing Lizardfolk from the Pathfinder Beastiary as an example: on the Other tab, there is a link to Hold Breath. It opens a window to the Hold Breath class feature, but I can't find where that class feature exists. In the Library, there is a link from the Pathfinder Bestiary to the Univeral Monster Rules and I expected it to be there, but it isn't (it's also not in the core rules special abilities, but I didn't expect that it would be).

I'll probably just create it as a new special ability, but I would prefer to keep it consitent with the Bestiary entries.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hm odd... i opened up pathfinder bestiary (module: pfrpg bestiary) and lizardfolk is listed as a monster, which in the "other" tab does not show a link to hold breath as you've shown in your pic.

i looked at the race module (pfrpg - races) and do see a lizardfolk as a race, which does normally would have a links like the one shown in your pic, but not for hold breath (prob missing info in that module).

this means i'm prob not looking at same module as the one you are using / showing in pic. would you look at the module file and post the name of it exactly.

regardless, whatever module you are using that shows the tab in the back for hold breath, simply drag that (via red dragon icon) into your new character sheet in the "abilities" tab, and drop it in the "racial trait" section at bottom right. see image below showing how i did it for the natural bite trait.

Attached Images Attached Images
    -----
    roll dice. it builds character.

The module is “Pathfinder Bestiary”. It’s very similar to “PFRPG Bestiary” but I prefer it because it is more complete (spells are set up, tokens created, etc.).

I wonder if some of the monster abilities are being created by a parser that is reading in the monster block from another source? I’ve noticed something similar with imported characters (like having things like wizard opposition schools under class abilities).

Quote Originally Posted by dogfisc View Post
    The module is “Pathfinder Bestiary”.
    Assuming you're referring to the official bestiary from the store...

Quote Originally Posted by dogfisc View Post
    I wonder if some of the monster abilities are being created by a parser that is reading in the monster block from another source? I’ve noticed something similar with imported characters (like having things like wizard opposition schools under class abilities).
    The official product was produced with a parser that read the "Special Abilities" entry and created the data in those as a linked record to data within that creature's XML, rather than just flat text. You can't do this directly in the FG interface, you'd need to manually edit the creature XML if you really want to do it. I'd recommend you just enter the special ability text in the other tab of the NPC, like the OGL bestiary has.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe, it took me a while but I finally realized it must have been something like that. I won’t worry about it then.

Thread Information