DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Players losing control of character tokens

My ongoing group has been using Unity for months without any real issues, but last night we ran into a serious problem. We are using the 5e ruleset, in case that matters.

After a couple hours of gaming, anytime a player would click on their token, the map would go black for all other players. If another player then clicked on their token, they could see the map, but it would go black for all other players. Shortly after that weirdness started, when players tried to drag their tokens random tokens would be moved instead. We got around that issue by using the arrow keys to move player tokens, but eventually that stopped working and the arrow keys would only move the map. At this point, characters could no longer target enemy tokens on the map, but had to use the combat tracker.

This issue persisted even after rebooting, and we finished the session by having me (the DM) move all tokens.

Tokens were placed on combat tracker from the PC list, then moved from the combat tracker to the map, just fyi.

Has anyone else encountered this or knows how to fix it once it happens? I tried clearing all tokens, unsharing maps, clearing the combat tracker, then adding everything back, but that didn't work. Neither did a reboot.

Any help is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_W View Post
    My ongoing group has been using Unity for months without any real issues, but last night we ran into a serious problem. We are using the 5e ruleset, in case that matters.

After a couple hours of gaming, anytime a player would click on their token, the map would go black for all other players. If another player then clicked on their token, they could see the map, but it would go black for all other players. Shortly after that weirdness started, when players tried to drag their tokens random tokens would be moved instead. We got around that issue by using the arrow keys to move player tokens, but eventually that stopped working and the arrow keys would only move the map. At this point, characters could no longer target enemy tokens on the map, but had to use the combat tracker.

This issue persisted even after rebooting, and we finished the session by having me (the DM) move all tokens.

Tokens were placed on combat tracker from the PC list, then moved from the combat tracker to the map, just fyi.

Has anyone else encountered this or knows how to fix it once it happens? I tried clearing all tokens, unsharing maps, clearing the combat tracker, then adding everything back, but that didn't work. Neither did a reboot.

Any help is much appreciated!
    I know from coding a new extension that if a player owns multiple tokens - and you change ownership on one of them that is currently active - you will get the LOS blackout of the map as the token that had "sight" is no longer accessible, but was active when ownership switched. But thing is - unless you have some option set to allow all players to move all tokens (party vision and movement) - they should not be able to click any of the other tokens. At all.

So my question is - how can any of your players click on someone else's token?

And if they can - how can unique users own the same token?

Also, if you have any extensions - turn them off and see if it still happens.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; January 4th, 2021 at 18:21.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    What extensions are you using? Does the issue repeat with no extension or themes enabled?
    What version of FGU are you using? 4.0.6?
    Do you have the GM Option Party Vision set to On or Off?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

A clarification and update:

1> Characters only had one token and were only clicking on their own tokens. If Player A clicked on the A token, players, B, C, D, and E lost the map until they clicked on their respective token (Player B clicking on the B token, for example).
    2> We are using the following extensions, but I shut them all off following the reboot and the problem still persisted:
    Custom Damage Manager
    Portals Revamped
    PreViewer
    Unity Compatible 5e Critically Awesome Essentials
    Unity Compatible Better Module Window
    Unity Compatible Enhanced Spell Window
    Combat Timer
    Mad Nomad's Automatic Actions Tab
    Message of the Day
    Theme D&D Official

3> GM Option Party Vision and Movement is set to Off
    4> Current software version is 4.0.6 (Ultimate license for me, unpaid demo for clients but they are updated as well)

Thanks again for your help!

I'd test in a new campaign without extensions. Some of the extension you are using interfere a lot with images and tokens etc and even if you've switched them off they could still leave undesirable code behind.

If there's still an issue then I'd zip up your and your players log files and attach them here so the devs can take a look (probably want to see your campaign folder as well).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I am having the same problem! Players are able to briefly move their character and have line of sight, but after a few seconds the map goes black and they lose control. Sometimes a random NPC would be pulled from the map and act as if the player was moving it, and it would also change size. I have done all the troubleshooting Sam had done as well, and the only mod we share is the Critically Awesome Essentials Mod. I tried having a player load in without those modules loaded, and while they were able to keep line of sight this way they could not movie their character. Did anyone ever solve this? Also, when we played in late March everything worked fine.

Welcome to FG.

What happened when your player tried to move their token? Was the token placed correctly on the map from the CT? Some more details and step by step instructions would be useful in trying to reproduce the problem.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

There is an issue in the Live build where extensions that swap tokens (such as some of the Critically Awesome extensions) will trigger a bug. If a player has a token selected when it is removed (such as by an extension), then the map will go black for them and they will not be able to click on any thing. The workaround is to close and re-open the image window to fix. I would recommend against using any extension which swaps tokens in the Live version for now. This is fixed in the beta version which is still in testing.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information