5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Possible to code NPC ability: make target grant advantage on attacks?

Simple question, I want to give an NPC an attack or innate spell (could be either) that makes a single target grant advantage on attacks for 1 round. Is this possible to write in a way that the combat tracker will translate into a GRANTADVATK droppable effect?

I don't think I can do it as an attack, but I'm not sure how to write an innate spell description for this that will translate into a droppable effect once the NPC is added to the combat tracker. I know I can manually create/write the effect each time but I'm hoping there's a way the combat tracker can automatically parse this instead of manually doing it.

(I considered just giving the NPC Faerie Fire or Guiding Bolt to just pluck the ADV effect from, but none of these are quite right since FF lasts 1 minute and Guiding Bolt is only on the next attack. And it seems you can't edit the spell description on the NPC card - even if you change the duration on FF's entry, it still shows up on the tracker as 1 minute.)
    Last edited by Rades; January 3rd, 2021 at 02:24.

I also would like to do this. It has been a long time since it was asked originally.

There isn't any wording which will automate this. You'll need to create the GRANTADVATK effect in the effects dialog; set it for 1 turn and apply it to the target from there.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 8th, 2022 at 18:30.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

1st post

On the Actions tab, setup a new Power or put it in a Power that you use for your characters:
    GRANTADVATK1.png
    GRANTADVATK2.png
    GRANTADVATK3.png

Right-click on it to get the menu and choose the arrow for Add Action:
    GRANTADVATK4.png

Choose the person icon for Add Effect:
    GRANTADVATK5.png

1st post

On the Actions tab, setup a new Power or put it in a Power that you use for your characters:
    GRANTADVATK1.png
    GRANTADVATK2.png
    GRANTADVATK3.png

Right-click on it to get the menu and choose the arrow for Add Action:
    GRANTADVATK4.png

Choose the person icon for Add Effect:
    GRANTADVATK5.png

2nd post

GRANTADVATK6.png

Click the magnifying glass to open the effect window:
    GRANTADVATK7.png

Give the effect a description followed by a ; and then put the condition in GRANTADVATK. Change Duration to 1 RND:
    GRANTADVATK8.png

When you attack and hit then you can click the effect onto whoever you attacked and it will now grant them ADV on attacks for 1 round (that will be until your turn comes back up).

Quote Originally Posted by Klandare View Post
    1st post

The OP wants the effect on an NPC, rather than on a PC.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The OP wants the effect on an NPC, rather than on a PC.
    Thanks for the response. I was hoping to do it as I wanted the NPC to do under the control of a PC. I am looking in to a castle garrison situation and wanted to players to set this up rather having the DM manage it.

It looks like I will have to set up custom conditions for it.

Thanks anywa.

Blog Entries
    Create an effects in the effects list and ten players can apply it as needed to the targets.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Create an effects in the effects list and ten players can apply it as needed to the targets.
    Thanks that is what I meant by custom conditions.

effects that is.

Thread Information