DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dachannien
    Agreed. There's really not much "substance" to XML. It follows the simple rules that Griogre specified above. Every application that makes use of XML is different, whether it's the RSS feeds for your favorite blogs, the layout for your FG2 character sheet, or whatever else. The challenge isn't knowing how XML works - if you know anything about HTML, you pretty much already know how XML works, because HTML is sort of like a subset of XML - it's knowing what features your particular application has put into their XML schema.

What I mean by that is, take HTML for instance. You start a document with an <html> tag, and you have to close that tag with </html> at the end. Inside that, the body of your web page is included inside <body> tags. You can then put content inside that, and if you want part of that in bold, you start it with a <b> tag.

In the same way, when you're doing a FG2 ruleset, you start a document with a <root> tag (okay, actually, there's that special XML tag before that, as seen in the various XML files). Inside that tag, there are certain other tags you can have, like <includefile>, <windowclass>, etc. Those tags form a sort of hierarchy, much like a web page does, where your HTML page contains a body, and that body can contain <table> tags, which can contain <tr> tags, which can contain <td> tags, which can contain other content.

In FG2, though, the tags you can have aren't the ones in HTML. They're specific to FG2. All the different XML tags that you can use are listed in the documentation. Those tags form the foundation for your FG2 ruleset, but you won't get a lot out of it without knowing how the scripting works. That's where the real work gets done
    How would one go about coding a rule set to be able to take "successes" from dice rolls?

I'll explain this in detail (White Wolf system):
    You roll 3d10. Instead of adding the results, you look to see how many of these three dice have a number of 8+. This is the number of "successes" you have achieved on that roll.

Example: I roll 5d10. I get 3, 4, 6, 8, 9. Because 8 and 9 are equal to 8 or above, I achieved 2 successes from that roll.

Ideas please?
    ~magnus

"I say there is no darkness but ignorance."
    -Twelfth-Night; or, What You Will IV.II.21

Its not too bad with just a little bit of LUA coding but essentiallylogic wise it would be like this:

1. Create a custom ruleset.
    2. In the scripts folders is a file called chat_chat.lua
    3. In there is a function called onDiceLanded() that triggers when dice hit the chat screen.
    4. In there you would check to see if the drainfo type is "dice".
    5. Put the results into a table by using the getDieList() function.
    6. Loop through the table and find any number higher than your target number.
    7. Count the success and output a message with the total number of successes.
    Last edited by joshuha; January 22nd, 2008 at 19:49.

Thread Information