STAR TREK 2d20
Page 26 of 37 First ... 16242526272836 ... Last
    he,
    suggestions from one of my players (who has never played at the table):
    - When rolling with a self-created modifier, there is only the dm and no text/title displayed
    - Self-creatable Effects with a DM and lifetime (rounds)

Good Morning @MadBeardMan,

A situation occurred in the last game session that I hope can be addressed in a future update.

Regarding LOS and special equipment and ambient lighting conditions, this issue probably requires an extension, but I have not been able to find one that works, either with the core Mg2e Rules or with FGU(?)

Players enter a dark environment - pitch black. They attempt to see inside the environment but can not. They activate a 'Cold Light Lantern', which I have coded using the 'Token Lights' feature through the Options tab.

ISSUE 1
    Firstly, the Cold Light Lantern has two settings;

Produces a wide cone of light up to 18 metres away with a radius of 6 metres at the end of the beam. Also capable of producing a tight beam of light up to 36 metres with a 1-metre radius or be used to illuminate a 10-metre radius.
    With the current Token Lights feature, all one can code is a light that radiates in all directions out to its maximum drop-off distance (similar to a hurricane/storm lantern). Creating a light beam that sweeps an area related to a token's facing seems to be impossible (as far as I know and can tell). Is it possible to code something that approximates the LOS and width of the beam mentioned in the Cold Light Lantern description?

ISSUE 2
    One of the players has IR Goggles and dons them. Currently, there is no way to differentiate their visual experience from standard sight. Therefore, I would like to offer the player an experience of the map/LOS, reflecting this new vision enhancement. Similar to what is available in the D&D side of FGU with creatures able to see in the dark (Darkvision or Truesight), which gives them a false colour spectrum view of the map, and LOS (a colour that I could choose: Phosperesent Green, or Red hue, or maybe an inverse coloration seen in some contemporary sights - although I think that last request falls into the 'technologically impossible' at present).

ISSUE 2A
    One of the players is playing an Aslan warrior. One of the species features of the Aslan Race is Heightened Senses

Heightened Senses: Aslan have better night vision, hearing and sense of smell than humans [EDIT: I would also add Taste too, but that is not canon]. All Aslan receive DM+1 to any Recon and Survival checks they have to make.
    This is a similar situation as ISSUE 2 in many ways. Is there a way to give the Aslan characters an enhanced night vision - so long as there is a faint ambient light for them to see - again, I am thinking of something similar to the D&D Darkvision sight? Something that can be hardcoded for all creatures with the Heightened Senses trait so when they enter a dark environment, the player can switch to the Heightened Senses view of the map. Possibly the Heightened Senses view of the map would be similar to D&D Darkvision, a greyscale view of the map?

Hi, I can’t answer all your questions, but I do know that Smiteworks are looking at implementing cone shapes for lights. The example often used is bullseye lamps. But what stage it is at, and what priority it has been given, I have no idea.

With issues 2 & 2a, can’t you just give them darkvision? Okay, its not a fancy colour, but roleplaying is all about imagination.

Just my personal thoughts.

Cheers

Traveller lighting and vision effects.

With issues 2 & 2a, can’t you just give them darkvision? Okay, its not a fancy colour, but roleplaying is all about imagination.
    '
    No, you can not. 5E-Vision which is the extension that adds Darkvision, Truesight etc. to 5th ed. D&D core rules doesn't work with the Traveller Mongoose 2nd ed rules set - the extension is not selectable in the load screen even if it is in your extension collection. The extension will need to be adapted (I am unsure if this violates any copyright restrictions) or a new extension built from scratch specifically for Traveller - probably as an 'Effect' that you place upon a player character in the combat tracker.

Colourization: It is already possible to custom colourize lights within FGU - a character can wander around carrying any colour light source you desire by using the colour picker tool. Thus, it shouldn't be a stretch to do the same for various types of enhanced (colourized) vision. While I agree, using your imagination is ALWAYS a possibility, why not display something that is technically feasible for FGU to render. Using your same logic, we should just imagine water visual SFX moving the surface of areas designated as water, or weather visual SFX, etc. Rather than use the built-in features available in FGU.

Thank you for reaching out with your suggestions.

It should be possible to include darkvision without a lot of work. Looks more like MBM just didn't include it when he turned the lights on.

As far as the shape off the light is concerned, SW made the decision a long time ago to limit lighting choices due to performance. That may change down the road.

Why are you running an extension for darkvision in 5e? Unless it adds features that the built-in darkvision doesn't have.
    Last edited by Grommit57; November 25th, 2021 at 18:46. Reason: more question/answwers

Central Supply Catalogue: Search by Tech Level?

Would it be possible to search through the Central Supply Catalogue by filtering the results of a search by using a maximum TL setting?

This would speed up populating retail spaces with tech-level approprate stock. Or populating illicit establishments with tech-level stock that is not planet TL appropriate.

Just a thought.

Has there been any progress on an extension for Character generator?

There is already a mod under the Community Extensions, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Module

No that isn't the one I am talking about, I have down loaded that one and put it into the game. It is not an extension that helps generate character it is a Module that walks through character generation.

When I last asked MBM if there was going to be a Character Generator added, he stated that an extension was being worked on.

We had a request last session for the colored highlights on the combat tracker to be easier to read

maybe brighter colors, or something that stands out "better"

SPECIFICALLY
    END STR DX have a peculiar kind of "shading" that is tough to make out
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Thread Information