5E Character Create Playlist
Page 7 of 13 First ... 56789 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    .... Nothing I do in an extension can work without literally being built off the SW proprietary application - so yes, I need to pay my dues if I try to sell it. For free? Fine. Patreon or any other mechanism for making a profit off it without a publishing agreement with SW? Likely not legit.

IMHO based on what I've been told.
    Correct. See the link in my sig on Licensing for more details/discussion.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I would like some extns to become base product.

The weapon handling extn has become redundant

Surely the dice tower should also become base product.

Once the new wish list features are added to base product (lighting and LOS distance etc). I would hope this can become true to a great degree. At least smiteworks approved status that confirms the code is written to a standard. I certainly want the percentage cut going to smiteworks and not dmsguild. If it means some support and testing is done on beta releases and work with developers is made at beta stage to fix issues.

Everyone wins if smiteworks is earning a cut then.

Dice Tower is a base item.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Sorry I meant local dice tower.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I assume they have a publishing agreement license with SW then. As otherwise, that would not be legal as SW would not be able to get its cut. Or so I understand things. And before people fly off the handle at that - it's their software. Nothing I do in an extension can work without literally being built off the SW proprietary application - so yes, I need to pay my dues if I try to sell it. For free? Fine. Patreon or any other mechanism for making a profit off it without a publishing agreement with SW? Likely not legit.

IMHO based on what I've been told.
    Dulux-Oz was a moderator on these forums. He made lots of extensions. All free. However for the link file for Syrinscape sounds he charged $5. I doubt it has anything to do with an agreement with Smiteworks, since people sell (or did, as you well know) lots of extension on DMsGuild.

But, having said that, when SW make the portal for mods and extensions, you won't need to be receiving payments via paypal or Patreon.

Quote Originally Posted by EllivasKram View Post
    I would like some extns to become base product.

The weapon handling extn has become redundant

Surely the dice tower should also become base product.

Once the new wish list features are added to base product (lighting and LOS distance etc). I would hope this can become true to a great degree. At least smiteworks approved status that confirms the code is written to a standard. I certainly want the percentage cut going to smiteworks and not dmsguild. If it means some support and testing is done on beta releases and work with developers is made at beta stage to fix issues.

Everyone wins if smiteworks is earning a cut then.
    Smiteworks have added loads of extensions to the core system over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Dulux-Oz was a moderator on these forums. He made lots of extensions. All free. However for the link file for Syrinscape sounds he charged $5. I doubt it has anything to do with an agreement with Smiteworks, since people sell (or did, as you well know) lots of extension on DMsGuild.

But, having said that, when SW make the portal for mods and extensions, you won't need to be receiving payments via paypal or Patreon.
    Anything on DMsG does have a licence with SW. And they get their cut. So not sure what your trying to say there. That's legal. It's WOTC that wanted extensions removed - per other threads that have already gone into that.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I love the idea of Smiteworks providing an area for extensions paid for or not. I personally don't mind paying for a extension or getting one for free. The people who take the time to make them see a niche that needs to be filled and they fill it. If they want some cash in the process, I don't mind obliging them because I don't know how to do that sort of thing. One thing I might add is a place where customers can make requests and modders, and/or developers can determine whether they want to do it. I think that this would make a already growing community boom. As for the naysayers on paying, let free enterprise dictate it. People will pay for what they want.

Sincerely Aramis

Hope to hear some more news on the Fantasy Forge soon. I know it'll happen when happens but still.....patience is sometimes difficult.

I'd be happy if I can create a 'dev' area in my account, and a page for each extension.. Even if it just looks like a forum page.

Just a known location users can goto to search/get the download.... If we can have integration into fantasy grounds, like the books downloading, that would be extra nice.

I think devs are more after getting a known space to host the extensions without the worry of it been removed at the moment. ( While I'd love paid support, I can wait a bit for that. )

Thread Information