DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 13 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    I don't care where they are, I just want them to auto-update.
    Auto-update could turn into auto-break for extensions. Again - EXTENSIONS = RISK - and auto killing my app on game day with no easy way back would not be a good thing. Some extensions will NEVER be compatible I'm sure. And how would you know if FG changes or extension changes broke something?

Auto-update scares the living crap out of me when it comes to extensions. IMHO
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Auto-update could turn into auto-break for extensions. Again - EXTENSIONS = RISK - and auto killing my app on game day with no easy way back would not be a good thing. Some extensions will NEVER be compatible I'm sure. And how would you know if FG changes or extension changes broke something?

Auto-update scares the living crap out of me when it comes to extensions. IMHO
    I agree auto-update sounds great on the surface but in reality would probably be a nightmare. The only way I can envision it working is if all extension updates were disabled when FGU updates until either the developer or someone working for SW approved them to work with the new version. But even in that instance you would either have to rely on the word of the creator, or SW would have to dedicate a resource to testing extensions to ensure they are compatible with every FGU update. I don't think that would be a headache worth causing.

Quote Originally Posted by DevildrummerX View Post
    I agree auto-update sounds great on the surface but in reality would probably be a nightmare. The only way I can envision it working is if all extension updates were disabled when FGU updates until either the developer or someone working for SW approved them to work with the new version. But even in that instance you would either have to rely on the word of the creator, or SW would have to dedicate a resource to testing extensions to ensure they are compatible with every FGU update. I don't think that would be a headache worth causing.
    KISS rule. Extensions should only be updatable by user approving them. No way SW should be trapped into validating them. That would be insane given the nature of extensions. If your happy with version using should be able to keep it. In no way shape or form should the decision and acceptance of RISK be automated out of end users hands. Much like now except you can see an extension has a new version.

KISS rule. Extensions should only be updatable by user approving them. No way SW should be trapped into validating them. That would be insane given the nature of extensions. If your happy with version using should be able to keep it. In no way shape or form should the decision and acceptance of RISK be automated out of end users hands. Much like now except you can see an extension has a new version.
    Yes, I agree this would be the best approach. Alert us in the updater that certain extensions have received updates and allow us to choose which if any we want to update.

Blog Entries
    Agreed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

2 and option to update single extensions on their own plus a single button to update all. No auto-update before clicking any buttons. Maybe add an option to auto-update. This would all be similar to how addons on CurseForge are handles (WoW etc).
    Last edited by Weissrolf; December 16th, 2020 at 16:03.

I use a bunch of 5E extensions and it would be nice to get them in one place and have a streamlined notification and update procedure.

I agree with others that auto-updates are not such a good idea for extensions because they can break your game MUCH more easily than anything else. But still, knowing that the latest version is out and updateable would be useful for me.

Validation of extensions so they DON'T break would of course be much more valuable, but I strongly suspect outside the scope of what SW can provide or what extension authors could put up with.

Cheers, Hywel Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HywelPhillips View Post
    I use a bunch of 5E extensions and it would be nice to get them in one place and have a streamlined notification and update procedure.

I agree with others that auto-updates are not such a good idea for extensions because they can break your game MUCH more easily than anything else. But still, knowing that the latest version is out and updateable would be useful for me.

Validation of extensions so they DON'T break would of course be much more valuable, but I strongly suspect outside the scope of what SW can provide or what extension authors could put up with.

Cheers, Hywel Phillips
    Extension developers should ALWAYS be responsible for making sure it works with FGU. But I agree making sure they work with OTHER extensions - is problematic. Personally I'll make the attempt if the other developer is willing to get with me - but short of that - not much one can do if they are stomping on shared code (not calling the older version before they do what they need to do - which is not always possible). But for sure extension developers need to keep pace with FGU updates and insure it works. Or I'd recommend that SW flag them as incompatible or something (because users notified them of it).

This is really the only thing you can do at this time. Ahhh the trials and tribulations of forked community development.

Windrunner

Within that thread it was mentioned by SmiteWorks that they were working on an store app that would allow support of .ext files (extensions/code).

My question to the community is - how important would having this be to you?
    5 out of 5, it is very important for me to use extensions with Fantasy Grounds

I don’t care where or how but for the power users with larger player base its near essential.

Fantasy Grounds is missing features that other platforms have, some (not all) of these features are made available through extensions and there are Extensions features that are made by community members that should be built in after you used it.
    WELCOME TO THE EXPEDITION TO SLEEPER ISLAND
    Sleeper Island is a 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons community set on the unexplored continent.

Players of all different levels of experience, age, and nationality are welcome. Experience in Fantasy Grounds or Play by Post are helpful, but not necessary.

Join missions with new and familiar faces to uncover the mysteries still unfound in the perilous wilderness of Sleeper Island!
    https://sleeperisland.eu

Thread Information