STAR TREK 2d20
Page 12 of 13 First ... 210111213 Last
    Mad Nomad has a 3rd party updater that works for now. I use it to keep up to date on the extensions I use. Hopefully the Forge will have a good way to keep updated: I think Mad Nomad has to collect the update versions from the various authors:MadNomad Extension updater.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fletcher View Post
    Mad Nomad has a 3rd party updater that works for now. I use it to keep up to date on the extensions I use. Hopefully the Forge will have a good way to keep updated: I think Mad Nomad has to collect the update versions from the various authors:MadNomad Extension updater.PNG
    Oh, I tried using that updater and couldn't get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    Oh, I tried using that updater and couldn't get it to work.
    As I've said - I stopped updating mine after religiously doing it once I realized they were still multiple versions out of date.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Any updates on this ?

Any chance maybe FG devs could post an in-progress image ?

So we can see what it might look like in use for an extension dev/upload/flow/listing, and a user view side of the site... and the in game work flow etc.. that are been considered ?

Hence we can post some feedback if we spot anything that is going to be a pain or might not work or could be improved on etc...

Personally: 1/5.
    Community: 2/5-4/5 depending on implementation.
    I would find much more utility in ruleset updates to break up the huge functions like "onAttack" into component parts that return values. This would make updating extensions and avoiding incompatibility WAY easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fletcher View Post
    That updater extension is 5E only

Personally: 5/5
    Community: Could go either way.

I'm a recent purchaser and plan to run a campaign sometime soon. Having used roll20 for over a year as a player, I can say that in terms of investment fantasy grounds is not only the cheaper option but has much more convenience going for it. The base level roll automation is fantastic and saves a lot of time. But, I would like more automation, I would like more convenience, I would like less time thinking about the mechanics and more time in the RP. So I want to invest in some of the automation these extensions offer. As I understand, "The Forge" app would allow SmiteWorks to take a cut of the profits (or more IDK how the licensing actually works) from these extensions. I would like my money to support SmiteWorks and the authors of these extensions. Its the same reason why I bought the ULT license off the SmiteWorks store and not Steam. As much as I want to buy SilentRuin's Stuff off the DMs Guild now, I want to support SmiteWorks more. So I eagerly wait for an update and am ready to dump money into this app as soon as it is ready. Thank you and have nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tm4ch1n3 View Post

I'm a recent purchaser and plan to run a campaign sometime soon. Having used roll20 for over a year as a player, I can say that in terms of investment fantasy grounds is not only the cheaper option but has much more convenience going for it. The base level roll automation is fantastic and saves a lot of time. But, I would like more automation, I would like more convenience, I would like less time thinking about the mechanics and more time in the RP. So I want to invest in some of the automation these extensions offer. As I understand, "The Forge" app would allow SmiteWorks to take a cut of the profits (or more IDK how the licensing actually works) from these extensions. I would like my money to support SmiteWorks and the authors of these extensions. Its the same reason why I bought the ULT license off the SmiteWorks store and not Steam. As much as I want to buy SilentRuin's Stuff off the DMs Guild now, I want to support SmiteWorks more. So I eagerly wait for an update and am ready to dump money into this app as soon as it is ready. Thank you and have nice day.
    100% - Welcome to FantasyGrounds!

Quote Originally Posted by l33tm4ch1n3 View Post

Extensions = RISK. I'd stick to RAW FGU till you are familiar with it. Then search for things you want that are FREE here in the forums to fill any needs. Then and only then - go to see what paid has to offer. Gist being - you will always be safe with the RAW product. You will never be safe with extensions. If you can accept that - then that's the only time I'd use them. IMHO
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Adding extensions isn't like landing a Rover on Mars. The risk is pretty minimal. If it causes issues, you can just disable the extension. FG has created an architecture that allows extension authors to improve the base, and we should celebrate that, not treat it like it is some dark art that we should fear. It's not a big deal.

For any new user reading this, I started FG a little over a year ago and, within the first week, had a handful of extensions installed. Occasionally they will throw errors or stop working, at which point I abandon them, unless their authors are active.

Some extensions cost a little money and you run the risk that the author might bail on support, but usually the cost is minimal. At some point you might be a little peeved that an extension author isn't fixing a problem, but at the end of the day you spent less than you would going to Starbucks before work. Most extensions work fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsplitter View Post
    Adding extensions isn't like landing a Rover on Mars. The risk is pretty minimal. If it causes issues, you can just disable the extension. FG has created an architecture that allows extension authors to improve the base, and we should celebrate that, not treat it like it is some dark art that we should fear. It's not a big deal.
    Understandable. But for others it is a significant risk. There are all too many people who post on the forums following an update that they forgot or didn't know to update (or disable, or even test) extensions they are using are are near irate that their game session had to be cancelled because of errors due to an extension not being updated etc.

In the end, it all depends upon the user, and how well they understand the implications of the choices they make. Undeniably extensions do increase the level of risk of using FG. But, the more a user knows, and understands, the less significant that risk is. What is important is that everyone be better informed

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information