STAR TREK 2d20
Page 13 of 13 First ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsplitter View Post
    Adding extensions isn't like landing a Rover on Mars. The risk is pretty minimal. If it causes issues, you can just disable the extension. FG has created an architecture that allows extension authors to improve the base, and we should celebrate that, not treat it like it is some dark art that we should fear. It's not a big deal.

For any new user reading this, I started FG a little over a year ago and, within the first week, had a handful of extensions installed. Occasionally they will throw errors or stop working, at which point I abandon them, unless their authors are active.

Some extensions cost a little money and you run the risk that the author might bail on support, but usually the cost is minimal. At some point you might be a little peeved that an extension author isn't fixing a problem, but at the end of the day you spent less than you would going to Starbucks before work. Most extensions work fine.
    I write extensions. I use my extensions. I maintain free and paid extensions. I'm here to tell you - Extensions = RISK. Always. And forever.

Having reiterated that - my comment was more to try to raise awareness and lessen the impact of false BUG spamming at FGU because someone has not turned off their extensions when using TEST server for this particularly risky update to them. And in a much more subtle way than say the update that broke all extensions. Because having something spit out a big ERROR message and cease to work is pretty obvious.

But having something spit out no error messages, and simply not support some underlying core code that makes something - not quite work as it should - is way more subtle and dangerous type of thing. So, just saying. Beware. And do what I said when testing. IMHO
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I write extensions. I use my extensions. I maintain free and paid extensions. I'm here to tell you - Extensions = RISK. Always. And forever.

Having reiterated that - my comment was more to try to raise awareness and lessen the impact of false BUG spamming at FGU because someone has not turned off their extensions when using TEST server for this particularly risky update to them. And in a much more subtle way than say the update that broke all extensions. Because having something spit out a big ERROR message and cease to work is pretty obvious.

But having something spit out no error messages, and simply not support some underlying core code that makes something - not quite work as it should - is way more subtle and dangerous type of thing. So, just saying. Beware. And do what I said when testing. IMHO
    I agree, for an example would be my extension for spells, because this changes the wording of the generated effects, if you turn off the extension that changed wording will still remain on the character and hence might then cause issues in the raw ruleset non knowing what to do with it. ( While I try and keep the generation on the end of the line, people could edit that... as at end of line the ruleset just tends to stop processing what is left when it finds a first item it does not know.. )

Yeah, but I think the capital risk and saying it is "dangerous" is a tad over the top... Nobody is going to die because an extension caused an error or an invalid value, because none of this is running, say, a heart monitor...and so isn't overseen by a governmental organization like the FDA. People need to CTFO and remember this is a virtual table top tool for Roleplaying and remember the first step of any bug report response is "Disable your extensions and check if you still have a problem. If yes, please post the steps to reproduce the problem. If no, try your extensions 1 by 1 until you find the problem extension, and then contact the extension developer.".
    Last edited by deer_buster; March 9th, 2021 at 14:46.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Might be more appropriate to say "Extensions are risky to your gaming experience - if you experience issues, disable the ones that don't work and tell the extension developer", or "Turn off all extensions that you haven't tested after an update before you start a gaming session" or both
    Last edited by deer_buster; March 9th, 2021 at 14:47.
    aka Laendra

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Yeah, but I think the capital risk and saying it is "dangerous" is a tad over the top... Nobody is going to die because an extension caused an error or an invalid value, because none of this is running, say, a heart monitor...and so isn't overseen by a governmental organization like the FDA. People need to CTFO and remember this is a virtual table top tool for Roleplaying and remember the first step of any bug report response is "Disable your extensions and check if you still have a problem. If yes, please post the steps to reproduce the problem. If no, try your extensions 1 by 1 until you find the problem extension, and then contact the extension developer.".
    Are you implying that use of the word "dangerous" only applies to life and death?

Look, we may be different generations or something that gets lost in translation, but dangerous is used to mean "it could cause a problem" also.

And users wasting the limited resources of SW dev's time by tracking down false extension caused bugs because people have not turned off all their extensions before testing something in TEST server (context) - like the new lighting stuff coming up (context) - can be... wait for it....

Dangerous.

Now I admit this may be more appropriate in the other thread for that particular warning - and not entirely sure how I got into this one with this conversation - but likely it was my fault in not knowing where I was replying. But gist is - Extensions = RISK. And can be... wait for it...

Dangerous.

Yeah, probably different generations. Mine isn't so butt-hurt at criticism
    aka Laendra

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Are you implying that use of the word "dangerous" only applies to life and death?
    Yeah, kind of the definition that it applies to life and limb...look it up https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dangerous

I'll save you the time and effort

dan·​ger·​ous | \ ˈdān-jə-rəs

; ˈdān-jərs, -zhrəs \

Definition of dangerous

1 : involving possible injury, pain, harm, or loss : characterized by danger (e.g. a dangerous job)

2 : able or likely to inflict injury or harm (e.g. a dangerous man)

aka Laendra

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Yeah, kind of the definition that it applies to life and limb...look it up https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dangerous

I'll save you the time and effort
    LOL

This is not meant to be an argument about semantics - and there is a risk of loss with extensions, they could potential break the campaign.xml file and lose your whole 5 years campaign.

Blog Entries
    Enough.

Arguing about definitions of words and their connotations is pedantic at best.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    LOL

This is not meant to be an argument about semantics - and there is a risk of loss with extensions, they could potential break the campaign.xml file and lose your whole 5 years campaign.
    Yeah I'm done here - this is getting bizarre

Oh and tell them they forgot one

Dangerous:
    likely to cause problems or to have adverse consequences.
    "it is dangerous to underestimate an enemy"

Thread Information