5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last

How important to Community is a SmiteWorks store app to do Extensions?

Let me give some history on why I ask this of the community first. As some of you know about 3 weeks ago I had an extension deactivated in DMsG and put in a state of limbo after about 5 sales and 15 minutes. Within that thread it was mentioned by SmiteWorks that they were working on an store app that would allow support of .ext files (extensions/code).

My question to the community is - how important would having this be to you?

I always tell people that EXTENSIONS = RISK and this is 100% absolutely true. People can break FG code with an extension. FG changes can break an extension. Other extensions can (and will inevitably) conflict with other extensions - though this can be minimized with careful implementation.

Yet, given all that RISK, extensions are a vital part of the community. I am a firm believer that you should try to use RAW FG code before you try any extension. Then, if during that adventure, you find you need something to make things easier to manage the game - write an extension for yourself. If you cannot, or do not want to do this, then search for a free extension in the forums that fulfills that need. And only if you you can't resolve your need still, search for a paid extension.

People may ask why any extension is "paid for" as they should all be free. That's a valid point of view. I maintain a free one for the community in fact. But I know how much work that is. And I know how much work making an extension can be (350 hours for one of mine). I make my extensions for myself. And put them in DMsG for others if they feel they are worth paying for. And why is it paid? Because it's my choice to do so and I like seeing if someone considers it worth while.

But regardless of where you fall in the great philosophical debate of "paid" or "free" - this post is to gauge the communities interest in getting SmiteWorks to get the previously mentioned application (see link above) out there.

I'm obviously prejudiced in my opinion of wanting it as I wait in limbo with one of my extensions - trapped in "between" the powers that be in resolving its fate - so you should not really count my opinion. Give yours. And why. Pro or con is all fine.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; December 15th, 2020 at 16:34.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I think SW should make major efforts to getting exts up on their new site to sell and update exts. This is such a hassle with exts and figuring out what the DMGSguild is doing.

I want SW to set up that app store very bad.
    To me this is more important than even the light radius they are working on (which is crazy awesome).
    Last edited by MrDDT; December 15th, 2020 at 16:43. Reason: Make it more clear on the question

Blog Entries
    On a scale of 1 (least) to 5 (critical) I value it;
    1 for me personally. I use very few extensions. I have no problem keeping them updated as I need them or even knowing most of what's available (because I am so active on the forums).
    3 for the community. Because most people are not so diligent keeping their extensions updated or even that they need to keep them updated, knowing what's available etc. It also will help reduce the number of posts on the forums and may provide an incentive for some people to use FG over other VTTs.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

On that scale, it's a 1 for me as well. I use 1 extension during play (the one that records item attunements for 5E), and 1 more when building a module. But I can see the usefulness for the people who run more extensions. Though I think lighting is more important than extensions. YMMV

It will depend on how its implemented for me.

On that scale, I think its a 3-4 for me. As an extension author, I would certainly put any of my extensions posted here on the FG forums into the system so users can get the auto download, and I use a wide variety of extensions, so having at least some of them auto-update would be handy. But I dont generally have issues with keeping them up to date.

I would have to see what the tradeoffs were before posting any extensions for sale.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

I value extensions. I would rate a SW store front for extensions/apps as a 4.
    I am capable of making my own but would rather support SW.

Blog Entries
    We have one of our Sr Devs working on it full-time. He is making good progress but it is not likely to be ready for a reveal until January.

I use some extensions, but I have no problem updating them from the forums or whatever. I'd rate an extension store at 1 or 2, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    We have one of our Sr Devs working on it full-time. He is making good progress but it is not likely to be ready for a reveal until January.
    What is a "reveal" by the way?

I'll use this as a rough time frame to people who keep asking me when they can get the extension then. I seem to be the only one caught out by all this - which sort of sucks. But such is life.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Extensions are critical for me and I gladly paid for some of them. Building a marketplace for Extensions is critical, specially if DMs Guild isn't worried on equal treatment of developers.

Thread Information