FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: NPC Creation

NPC Creation

Hello, I'm brand new to fantasy grounds and i struggle to handle some functionnality.

The first concern NPC : i didn't buy the Alien Archive module yet, and i wan't to create a NPC from another bought. The interface seems pretty more textual than the one for PC creation (and thats ok) but i discovered that things (feats, abilities but mostly equipment) can't be drag'n dropped from the lists from the Core rulebook module... Soooo ... evrything must be edited manually, ok, but what is the exact syntax for, for example, create a weapon with dammages of two differents types and critical effects ? How can i add offensive abilites lick trick attack form NPC and use them in the combat tracker.

Does the alien archive module include the complete Alien Archive NPC creation system that should help me to build a NPC from scratch with the graft method ? In a way similar a PC creation (via drag'n dropping things ?)

Also, it's seems stupid but how can i copy paste text in textual area (for example, melee attack for a NPC) ? More generally how can i copy-paste an item ?

Thank you !

The best examples are the NPCs themselves. The ruleset tried to be stay as close to the book material as possible when creating attack lines. The Alien Archive does provide the information on creating a NPC in the Starfinder system, but there is no step by step mechanism to create them. NPCs are built to be textual to be easier to copy paste from material and don't need as much fluff as the PC sheets. This is as overall philosophy among all rulesets. Drag and dropping of links is not something the NPC sheet supports. As mentioned in the beginning the best resource is a NPC from a product. If you have the core rulebook, then the space goblin monark would be the prime example.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

I don't really mind copy line of text from another NPC but i struggle with the copy-paste function ... For example, if i open for edition one of my created ncp, i can baraly select text in writeable zone : i have to point the mouse anywhere on the text then use the MAJ+LEFT/RIGHT combinaison for selecting text. Worse, as modules NPC are "read only", i haven't find the solution for selecting text. But maybe i missed something ?

Red locked records are not able to be copied directly and considered read only records. This helps keep the information from being changed from the source material. You could create a copy of the NPC to give it the ability to make it an editable record. Some fields however also have code on them to allow automatic highlighting and interactions when you click on said words. This can be annoying to try and get a cursor in said blocks. I find it's easier to setup the text in another field first and pasting it into the highlighting fields to get the changes done quickly.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Oh ok i didn't realize we can just copy NPC/items from the bought modules. That would be far quicker to modify an existing NPC, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Littlerogue View Post
    Oh ok i didn't realize we can just copy NPC/items from the bought modules. That would be far quicker to modify an existing NPC, thanks !

For some string fields it depends on the string type.
    I have found for normal strings to highlight the whole string select the text left of the first letter then with mouse positioned after the last letter use shift left mouse button, this should highlight the whole string then you can ctrl c to copy
    IE the speed field of a NPC.

If the string has code for it, IE attack strings with the record unlocked mouse around the starting text until you see the whole line highlight, you can then ctrl c and ctrl p in the new NPC.
    Discord User : Samarex#0318
    Ultimate License
    Starfinder Society ID#:274538
    Lets Play a RPG

Thread Information