5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New DM (FG Classic)

Hi - struggling with doing a few basic things in FG Classic as a DM (have bought Ultimate version) and running Storm King's Thunder campaign.

* Basic / Generic Battle Map - If I just want a basic / generic battle map to throw tokens into, e.g. for a random encounter or in a situation where the Player-Map of a location doesn't include a Battle Map - are any available?
    * Where can I add / manage / track party quests?
    * How can I assign NPCs to players to manage - do I need to create them as PCs?
    * Can players target enemies in the combat tracker or do they have to use tokens on the map?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
    P

Moderator: Moved to the 5e forum.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; December 6th, 2020 at 15:14.

Blog Entries
    Pinterest is a great resource.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pedroelpedro View Post
    * Basic / Generic Battle Map - If I just want a basic / generic battle map to throw tokens into, e.g. for a random encounter or in a situation where the Player-Map of a location doesn't include a Battle Map - are any available?
    Like JohnD mentioned, Pinterest is a great resource but I would also recommend just a Google search for the basic map theme you might need. I find me a some generic swamp, trail, forest, village maps, etc, save them to a folder as a resource for 'emergency' use. Then I bring a couple of them into my FG images folder as needed before a session so I have them ready if needed.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    FG licenses come with a module titles "FG Battlemaps" load it
    Then you can Google for any other maps. There are Reddit subs, Facebook groups, Pintrest, Deviant Art, Patreon ...
    Maps are easy to come by

You can track party quests using the Quest objects. Or a Story entry.

You can share an NPC to a character portrait, but be aware their are some things the owner of a shared NPC can't do. If they are going to be around long, then imo its better to make them as a PC.

Either. You can also drag and drop attacks or damage to either the token of the CT entry.

Have you tried any of the free classes at FG College? Can be very useful

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks so much... I have not done any classes, where can I find FG College?

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    FG licenses come with a module titles "FG Battlemaps" load it
    Then you can Google for any other maps. There are Reddit subs, Facebook groups, Pintrest, Deviant Art, Patreon ...
    Maps are easy to come by

You can track party quests using the Quest objects. Or a Story entry.

You can share an NPC to a character portrait, but be aware their are some things the owner of a shared NPC can't do. If they are going to be around long, then imo its better to make them as a PC.

Either. You can also drag and drop attacks or damage to either the token of the CT entry.

Have you tried any of the free classes at FG College? Can be very useful

1) As noted above there are some generic maps which come with FG. You'll also find some map modules linked here including some extra maps for SKT https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...r-5E-resources
    2) In SKT when there is a quest given to the party you'll find a link on the story or reference page to a quest entry. Click that link and then right click on the window that opens and share it with your players. When you look at the quest list by clicking the quest button you'll see an S symbol next to any quests that have been shared. When the party are in an area where a quest can be resolved or continued you'll find a link to that quest in the story or reference page. Once a quest has been completed you can unshare it by clicking on the S symbol in the quest list.
    3) Read the story entry 0.01 Conversion Notes (or the entry Conversion Notes in the first chapter in the reference section). Apart from the details given there about how to share NPCs with players there is a lot of other useful information on how to run certain mechanical things in the module - including quests. See also the video liked here on sharing NPCs with players https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...176#post387176
    4) Players (and the DM) can CTRL+Click on the token or on the token area of the target on the CT. Or they can simply drag and drop attacks, damage or saving throws directly from their actions tab onto the token or NPC on the CT.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information