STAR TREK 2d20
Page 9 of 28 First ... 789101119 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    I bought this today and could make very good use of it. Unfortunately it throws some errors when being loaded vanilla into PF2 campaigns (mostly CT hook based it seems). So I will have to try to modify it for my PF2 usage, as we don't play 5E. I know that this is a 5E extension, like many useful ones out there, but this is really needed functionality for many GMs.

One problem I see is that having many tokens active on the map also means that many LOS calculations have to be done. And FGU did not demonstrate to be very performant at doing so yet.
    As I've told others all the rulesets have diverged on ct_host/ct_client so this is ONLY for 5E. But yes I don't see it as a herculean task to modify it for other ones. I know someone else told me they were going to make personal mods for 4E or something. Wished them luck. I just don't use anything but 5E - if at some point there is enough interest I can probably try to learn how to do those but this is just out of the gate and need to see how it goes. After all the primary customer it has to satisfy is ME. As that is who I wrote it for. Personally I can't live without it in my session prep now but as I only do 5E that is my priority.

You can't escape cluttering one map with a ton of tokens - especially if the LOS is complex. However, LOS is going to apply to the active token so not really seen any problems in my stuff - but then I'm more about having lots of group icons on my global map with the non PC group tokens all invisible to the players - then have each of the groups in their own personal maps which when the PC group encounters I just drag them into it - seconds to set it up instead of all the pain of pre setup. Now do I have thing with multiple floors in one map where there is a ton of NPCs in? Sure. But again a lot of that can be your memory/cpu on your machine - nothing will save a weak machine. Though this can help drop the load since most code only processes what is visible in CT - that is not true for everything. Example being it takes me about 10 seconds in my current COS campaign to bring up my 250 CT entry 10 map bonanza I have going. But I abuse it. Terribly. And understand that I will pay a price if I stick to much in there.

Anyway - let me know how it goes.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

New Page 1 line 1 entry - READ IT if you don't read the .txt file or this thread. Else Combat Groups will have NO MERCY ON YOU!!!!

Technically I suppose FGU standard operations will not have any mercy on you but that seems much less ominous.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 24th, 2021 at 22:23.

Ok, I’m seeing the messages regarding deleting many items from the ct but what is the common practice for deleting individual npcs from the ct (as they get killed) without messing up the npcs in each group?

Jim
    Jim Hale
    Ultimate License - D&D5E (AL)
    DDAL-DCI: 4317029791
    Game Signups (Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by JHale1966 View Post
    Ok, I’m seeing the messages regarding deleting many items from the ct but what is the common practice for deleting individual npcs from the ct (as they get killed) without messing up the npcs in each group?

Jim
    I’m not sure what you are asking. Nothing has changed in how CT works - only what is visible or not in it. If you are having an encounter involving a group then you have it visible in CT. If one dies and you want to remove that one you right mouse on entry in CT and remove it. Same as you normally would without this extension. I admit the question is confusing me as it seems more about normal CT operations than this extension.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I’m not sure what you are asking. Nothing has changed in how CT works - only what is visible or not in it. If you are having an encounter involving a group then you have it visible in CT. If one dies and you want to remove that one you right mouse on entry in CT and remove it. Same as you normally would without this extension. I admit the question is confusing me as it seems more about normal CT operations than this extension.
    Right and when you delete the npc the standard way from the CT, it also removes it from the group. Is there a way to NOT have it delete from the group (in case I want to run a particular adventure again without rebuilding the group from the encounter).

Jim
    Jim Hale
    Ultimate License - D&D5E (AL)
    DDAL-DCI: 4317029791
    Game Signups (Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by JHale1966 View Post
    Right and when you delete the npc the standard way from the CT, it also removes it from the group. Is there a way to NOT have it delete from the group (in case I want to run a particular adventure again without rebuilding the group from the encounter).

Jim
    Again a confusing question to me. Combat groups allows you to group CT entries and control whether they are visible in CT or visible in map as a group. End story.

So forget this extension. If I’m done with an encounter in CT I delete it from CT. If I ever prepped for a new dungeon I’d set like I normally do with encounters.

Now if you are making some weird reusable dungeon then you’d have to decide how to do that for yourself. Off the top of my head if your asking what I’d do - I’d probably copy that campaign in its setup initial state and use it for a seed of any new campaign.

But really not something I’d do. New campaign - new prep setup for me. With encounters.

But really you do what you want how you want.

And to be clear every session I’m setting up the groups I think the players are going to encounter or revisit and clearing out and removing any groups they are done with. A moving changing set of groups as they move through the world. I can think of nothing worse or more crippling to a machine than trying to define 1000’s of prepped CT entries. I already abuse my CT with about 250 entries and 10 maps at a time. Some stick around for duration other get cleared and removed as I play through. But really you prep like you want and I’ll prep like I want - just tools to use as you see fit.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 25th, 2021 at 14:50.

Hi Silentruin , just wanted to give a shout out of appreciation !!!, I ran my first game with your Combat Group Extension, and it made my game run so much smoother !!!
    Thank you so much, really appreciate how well you support your extensions and add new features too them too !!

Something I will need to think on at some point to support in here - but for now - TIP: If you use polymorphism and change into or change back from something - you will no longer be in a group. The act of doing that literally removes you out of combat tracker and puts you back in. At some point I should probably change polymorphism to recognize you were in a group and change it like I do all your targets, concentration effects, etc. - but for now - remember - they are out of the group the second they change. That may not matter as your in the encounter but if it does - you'll have to remember to add them in again each time they change.

V1.8 - Bug for wiping out previous session's token visibility setting for the combat group token - Fixed.

Thread Information