DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 12 First 12345 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeardgunner70 View Post
    How did you determine the size of your frames (fieldlight, fielddark, numberbox, etc). Does it matter? I'm referring to the originals you made in GIMP, I know the wizard will allow you to change size and shape.
    Hi Gunnar - while driving to a job today i was thinking about that very topic. Should I make a video on the graphics themselves because they are obviously an important part of the whole thing. Im very much leaning towards doing one but its not really about the Ruleset Wizard so tossing it up still..

Anyway - to answer your question -

If you look at the original graphics for fieldlight and fielddark they dont really give much away. You have to look at where they are used and how. In CoreRPG and 5E both of them are used as frames to hold other elements and they are used to frame specific content like a number or a string.

So we have a couple of clues.
    They are always going to be displayed as a square/rectangle.
    They are displayed in both small (as small as 25x25px) and much larger elements - eg behind/around a list of Stats.
    They have at least 2 versions - a darker one and a lighter one.

So pulling back out a bit and looking at the whole character sheet and then at the whole rulebook artwork I look for easy elements to reproduce that will give me a similar look and feel - I dont need identical, or even close, I just need the feel - and I start working with those.

When designing any of these graphics its important to remember the 9 slices thing.

Top Left is fixed
    Top tiles horizontally
    Top Right is fixed

Left tiles vertically
    Middle tiles vertically and horizontally
    Right tiles vertically

Bottom Left is fixed
    Bottom tiles horizontally
    Bottom Right is fixed

This means that gradients and decorative elements need to stay within their slices and if the slice tiles make sure the element tiles nicely too.

These rules apply regardless of the size of the element.

So elements like fielddark and fieldlight that are used with small sizes should be quite simple.
    Elements like ChatWindow and Character Sheet and Combat Tracker can have more decorations.

I think that most people should stick with relatively simple frames - if you are graphic designer then get funkier - but only after you really understand how it should work.

I hope that helps?

Thanks for the clarification and extra detail. So what I gathered from that (and my experimentation so far), is that for a frame to work in a label, it needs to be roughly the same size as the label will be, X pixels by Y pixels. So you kinda need to know what those are going to be beforehand, or come back and add the frames later. Perhaps I am over simplifying.

Here is what I have after a few hours work today. Needs to be prettied up, of course, but I will get to that after I am sure I have all the functionality of the sheet worked out and have a better understanding of where I want/need things.
    Progress.jpg

I downloaded the font from the FG Wiki (dnd4LolthSC) and installed it per the instructions from the RW website. However, I couldn't get it to work. Wouldn't show up on the CS. Have you played with that feature (custom fonts) yet?

Blog Entries
    Hi Gunnar,

Dont expect to get things right the first time you do them - I dont. Sometimes it takes me dozens of goes.
    When you create these elements there is something I forgot about in the video - you can just plonk a whole bunch of labels (example) on the sheet and then select them all and use the align all buttons to speed up the aligning.
    I personally would spend some time working out the exact/best sizes for each column/field.
    Anyway thats not answering your Question.
    I think the answer is Display >> Frame Offset - try some values like 4,3,4,1 (left, top, right, bottom) and see how that looks.
    Expect to play around with the numbers and layout a few times before you decide on something you really like.

Awesome to see you diving in!

Blog Entries
    Oh - fonts. I use plenty of custom fonts in my extensions but i havent yet tried the fonts tool in RW - sorry.

And one more thing - the Frame Offsets change from 0.3.9 to 3.10.0 and i havent had a chance to test yet...

Blog Entries
    Video 3: Adding additional coding and character sheet elements https://youtu.be/-xqt6Hl7NnE
    is now live

Video 5 will come next and then back to Video 4.
    Video 5 talks about the graphics and is not so much about the Ruleset Wizard but is important nonetheless.

Is it possible to add in the Harn die roll success levels you developed for Morecore?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeardgunner70 View Post
    Is it possible to add in the Harn die roll success levels you developed for Morecore?
    Short answer. Yes
    Middle answer. Not yet
    Long answer. You are going to have to dive deeper into the code. For now you will need to wait until I post an example with onLanded

Blog Entries
    There are 5 Ruleset Wizard and Cyberpunk RED specific videos posted and 2 bonus videos that deal with graphics and then with using some code to go further than the RW IDE can go staying within its interface.
    There will be another graphics bonus video next and then another character sheet video.

Blog Entries
    Playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqY2...YjZrJUtJWCjGmT
    Video 1: Getting Started with the Ruleset Wizard and the Character Sheet
    Video 2: Adding more elements and some basic coding
    Video 3: Adding additional coding and character sheet elements
    Video 4: More character sheet coding and character sheet elements
    Bonus Video 1: Creating frames for character sheet and chatbox
    Video 5: Editing the common section at the top of the character sheet
    Bonus Video 2: Creating a desktop wallpaper with some punch
    Video 6: Creating an Armor/Defense List

This tool is amazing and the tutorials are very well done. Anyone wanting to crank up new extensions or rulesets should really be using this tool. I've been at it about a week and I'm cranking out a new ruleset for a custom in-house game.

One weird question though How do you delete elements? I created a charsheet_main but can't seem to find a way to delete an element I don't need or want anymore.

Thread Information