DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Players Cannot Direct Connect to DM Hosting via PureVPN

I am attempting to host a fantasy grounds unity game for my players. Because one player always gets stuck on attempting to resolve connection to host for cloud games, my only option is to use direct connect. Before I upgraded to unity I used PureVPN to port forward for me because I am not able to configure my modem. This worked for classic, but when I attempt to host a game for unity, my players all get stuck on attempting to resolve connection to host. My network is private, I have PureVPN in dedicated ip mode and forwarding the 1802 port, I gave them the external IPv4 address, and they can still connect to classic. Does using PureVPN not work for unity or is there something I have to do differently than what I did with classic? After I spent money upgrading from classic to unity I am most alarmed that it is not working.

I understand that this would all be solved with using cloud games as was my intention when I bought unity, but a played gets stuck on resolving host connection. I have no idea what is happening on his end as he is computer illiterate and running a nearly 8 year old cheep laptop, but he is the only one who is having issues with cloud games for both me and the other DM. Every player is having problems connecting to my direct connect games, but they can connect to the other DM's games who is not using a VPN.
    Last edited by TylerVan; November 29th, 2020 at 15:45.

The advice would always be to use the Cloud. Is your player using Win 7 by any chance? Win7 is not supported by Unity. Also is the OS 32 bit? That's another problem since Unity is 64bit. If that's not the case then make sure they have whitelisted FGU in their anti virus. Other than that it could just be the age of the computer and it being incapable of really being able to run Unity or something on their router that's the issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

His computer is running windows 10, but I don't know if its os is 32 or 64. We have attempted to walk him through all of the fixes that we found on other forums. He is able to connect to unity games that are direct connect. Short of buying him a new computer as he does not think that his old computer has any problems, there is not much we can do on his side of things. That is why I am looking for help to get direct connect working as per my main question.

The only thing I can think of is that Unity uses UDP and not TCP like Classic - so I don't know if that's an issue. Sorry I can't help much more since I've never been able to get direct connection working in Unity either.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I also thought that may be part of it, but there is nowhere I can find in PureVPN port forwarding to switch the protocol. No worries, thanks for attempting to help.

If both you and the users could submit logs that would help with troubleshooting. If you are on the VTT, type /console in the chat box and then click the Compile Logs button on the pop out console. If on the connection screen, click the button in the upper left corner (the one with the four horizontal lines) and then click Compile Logs.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVan View Post
    I also thought that may be part of it, but there is nowhere I can find in PureVPN port forwarding to switch the protocol. No worries, thanks for attempting to help.
    You definitely need to PF UDP for FGU

Thread Information