STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Question to those with way more Knowledge that me. (Effects)

I know in Fantasy Grounds 5e Core rule set you can add effects to simulate Healing and may other effects that Spells and abilities can do. Can something like that be done in the Rolemaster rule set? It would be nice to just click a button have the Concussion Way spell reduce the targets damage.

Is there a way to do that with the RMC or RMFRP or is that something that that only those systems built on the core rules can do?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes, that would be quite nice. I remember Dakadin said he wanted to work on more effects in the future, perhaps something like this will be coming?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Yes, I do plan on adding more effects. The initial release was mainly just getting the existing effects from v1.8 working. Once I get to updating the spells tab, I plan on adding more effects.
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    Yes, I do plan on adding more effects. The initial release was mainly just getting the existing effects from v1.8 working. Once I get to updating the spells tab, I plan on adding more effects.
    Or perhaps as an extension?

Rather than you creating *all* the spell effects yourself. Allow the RM community to do it for you...
    You are not outnumbered! You are just in a target rich environment!

I looked at adding extra effects, dunadan but it too complex for me to get my head wrapped around it at the moment. Not saying impossible but keep expectation low on RM community doing it.

Yeah effects are complicated because you need to code for them throughout the ruleset instead of just an isolated section that you normally would deal with when adding a new feature, but I do like the idea. If someone wants to try creating an extension that adds effects, I will see if I can incorporate it into the ruleset but no guarantees since it will depend on how everything fits together. They could always use them in their games though and provide them for the community to use in the meantime.

Since we are on the subject, what effect would people like to see in the ruleset and what things do you see them changing? I figure you guys will come up with a few that I might miss so please let me know what you would like to see.

Blog Entries
    Off the top of my head:

- bonus/penalty to OB in general or attack type(s) specifically (i.e. OB: +10 ranged)
    - bonus/penalty to DB in general or attack type(s) specifically (i.e. DB: +10 slashing)
    - bonus/penalty to MM in general
    - bonus/penalty to specific skills (i.e. Cloak of Elvenkind: MM: +10 hide)
    - bonus/penalty to RRs in general or specific types (i.e. RR: +10 terror)

You might say that some of the above can already be handled within the various options on a skill or item, and that's true. But, having these in as effects on the character (or the NPCs) allows for adjustments that the player isn't aware of (GM only visibility), and a big bonus is that the adjustments get added in (or at least they do in my imagining of the implementation...) when a roll is made and the resolver stack opens up - the GM doesn't have to worry about having forgotten something.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks John. Those are good ones. I will have to think about the skills one though since RM has so many potential skills and I would want it to be flexible enough to handle skills that a GM adds.

If you are asking for unlimited suggestions depends how complex you want to get. A couple that I have used...

Intoxication, Mild ; Penalty:-10
    Intoxication, Medium ; Penalty:-25
    Intoxication, Severe ; Penalty:-50

Lots of others that are basically the same (just with a different name) ie poison effects and spell effects. Covered by mods to DB/OB/RR/etc.

An interesting one is damage to a stat. ie Con damage from undead (my party hated that one!)
    Reducing a crit by 1 level of severity
    Belt of Balance — This leather belt reduces the severity of Unbalancing criticals by one level (e.g., a ‘C’ Unbalancing critical becomes a ‘B,’ a ‘B’ becomes an ‘A,’ and an ‘A’ becomes an ‘A’ with a special modification of -25 to the critical roll).
    A chance to "miss" the target completely. I think this would be too hard to implement. But if there was a "miss" chance the GM could manually edit each round.
    Displacement I – Target appears to be offset from where they actually are, all attacks have no effect 10% of the time. Each time a foe misses them, the chance of that foe missing again goes down 5%.

Is it possible to have the player drop the effects onto target as well? Not just the GM. Makes play a bit quicker (and one less thing for the GM to do).
    You are not outnumbered! You are just in a target rich environment!

Thread Information