5E Character Create Playlist

Better LOS Help!!

In an update yesterday, Smiteworks decided to change LOS so that it works from any corner to any corner. On paper that sounds ok, until you realize how impractical it is. I've submitted a screen shot and made a case for some fix, but others in the community are saying this is RAW for 5e and happy. I can't be alone in my thought process that the new LOS is bad. Can someone look into this and see how hard it would be to make an extension to fix LOS, make it center to center or some % of a square?

unknown.png
    Capture.PNG
    Capture2.PNG

Moved to "The Tavern" forum. The Create and Share - Extensions sub-forum is where people share extensions they've created, not request the creation of an extension.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 25th, 2020 at 18:39.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you had an option to turn off the coloured box that would fix that issue without messing with the new LOS setup (which I like), so perhaps that as a feature request.

Blog Entries
    I don't believe that any part of LOS is yet accessible to extensions. If I'm right about that, it means that an extension can not be written to modify the behavior.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Every token has a "grid size" that denotes the footprint of the token on the map. This is independent of the displayed graphic size, which can actually be scaled independently. The colored box is what is called an underlay, that CoreRPG uses to show the "grid size" of the token. The grid size is what is used for all targeting and LoS calculations.

In the examples shown above, while the "graphic" shown for a token is not within the LoS, the "grid size" or actual size of the token according to the game rules IS within the LoS. It is following the rules defined by the D&D systems. (i.e. official rules are any corner to any corner equals visible) Even if you were using physical minis at a physical tabletop, you would calculate LoS by drawing an imaginary line from corner to corner to grid squares determine visibility and cover (not the actual physical mini, which is smaller than the grid squares).

This is working as intended and according to the rules as written by the D&D game designers.

One of the challenges with changing this to something else is that it becomes very subjective and different for every user. Most people want to say some custom X% should be used instead, where that X% is different for every person. (5%, 10%, 25%, ...) Also, percentages are very expensive to calculate vs. point to point. More likely we would need to look at some sort of contracted point, but again, the amount is subjective, depending on the user.

If you would like to "reduce" the visibility somehow, please put your thoughts into a feature request in my sig.

Also, think of this as the creature moving around within it's space, and the source token is seeing bits and pieces. If it's hiding around a corner, that's a different story, and the target token should be hidden.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; November 25th, 2020 at 18:06.

Copying my previous post to original thread by original poster; and closing this thread. There's no reason to have 2 threads for the same discussion.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...date-BUG/page2

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information