FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    This is a very weird conversation.

All I’m saying is I would never allow a memory gobbling issue to go unresolved. Based on my experience in what can happen when you do. Especially, a duplicatable one where a dev quite clearly knows where in the code it is.

Given this specific context - for this specific issue - limiting chat to 500 lines with no check to also limit on size - is easily fixed.

And IMHO should be given this context.

All the elaborate arguments given have not changed my opinion.

The one point we can agree on is they will do as they see fit. Which is fine.

And in no way changes my opinion on all this.

Author did excellent job bringing this up and identifying it. Dev knew where it was and explained why it was happening.

I expressed my opinion on why I would not let a memory gobbling part of the code - whether by design or by leak - go unaddressed.

My opinion won’t change in that.

But they will indeed do what they want and that’s fine by me.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    But don't come at me suggesting that I am only out to waste your time while I provide QA level expertise from outside the blackbox.

You received the information, you are welcome... Magic, do as you will!
    Ugh! Not what I was trying to convey. Also please make sure that you understand I do not work for SmiteWorks or represent them in ANY way.

Not my time, and in my opinion, as long as folks know and understand that their are business/personal reasons (as well as often technical reasons) why the devs can't jump on things sometimes and just fix them, then I think we are all on board.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    This is a very weird conversation.<snip>

Author did excellent job bringing this up and identifying it. Dev knew where it was and explained why it was happening.
    Very weird, I agree. I blame myself for misconstruing or worrying about aspects that apparently others were not considering.

And yes, the OP has done a great service by identifying this to the level of detail that he has. All of this work he does is awesome. And I know I appreciate it.

Sorry for anyone I've upset or for raising issues that others may not have been concerned about.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    It seems that text chat messages and non-standard dice mostly only increase virtual memory allocation (Commit in RM), but 3D animated dice also increase the working set (Private in RM).
    I think this needs to be emphasized, because it might have been overlooked.

Concerning the "pumping graphics into chat" part, I hope that writing 1000x the same image into chat does not instantiate 1000x the full image/memory, but instead uses 1000x reference links to a single copy in memory?! Especially thinking of all those GM: symbols, speak bubbles, dice roll frames...
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 26th, 2020 at 01:25.

I had FGU crash for the second time after 200 minutes of D8 rolling. I suspect that at some point there is some buffer overflow and then it says bye-bye.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 26th, 2020 at 20:06.

Rolling 3D dice lead to FGU finally crashing twice), rolling non-standard /die lead to FGU finally freezing with Committed/Virtual memory maxing out at 56 GB. Since I did not restart the computer my page-file currently sits at 40 gb size.

#

6:25 is when FGU froze, I turned on the screen about 2 hours later.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 28th, 2020 at 17:01.

My opinion as user and big supporter of FG is that every performance issue (not needed to be bug!) should be taken away as soon as possible. Unity is much heavier than FGC and I already have all people I play with commenting on that is non-exciting way... Few with potato machines, where FGC runs perfectly, asked if we can go back because of the performance on their integrated video card, as not everyone can afford or need gaming machine for VTT... Another is using MacBook and unfortunately the user experience is worsened, as the mac overheats and battery can't charge due to the high demand of Unity. The solution was /vsync switch... which made the whole interaction as PowerPoint slide.

Also, since users are getting more and more, we now have FoundryVTT as competing product with extremely sleek visual effects and very small requirements for self-hosted version. Nothing beats FG automation and licensed content, but not everyone needs that really to play...
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Another is using MacBook and unfortunately the user experience is worsened, as the mac overheats and battery can't charge due to the high demand of Unity. The solution was /vsync switch... which made the whole interaction as PowerPoint slide.
    I am running my campaign with 5 players on a 2015 MacBook Pro without any problems. One of the 5 players is also using a 2015 MacBook Pro without problems. Even my 2011 Mac mini works ok. For me the Mac experience has gotten much better. I had to quit using the Mac mini with Roll20 because they stopped supporting its GPU, but it runs fine with FGU.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

FGU still releasing memory 10 seconds after closing it = disk activity. This time I stopped dice rolling before FGU crashed/froze and closed manually. My swapfile peaked at 50 gb.

Take notice how that measly 7.6 mb/s are measured as 98% disk activity. These are likely thousands of small 4 kb pages being released in successively (low queue depth) from the gigantic page-file. I am using a NVMe with peak sequential throughput well over 2 gb/s.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 29th, 2020 at 01:10.

102k lines of a single comma "," input into chat over a 15 minutes time-span. No dice rolling whatsoever.

Private working memory consumption peaked at over 13 gb! A few minutes after stopping keyboard input it went down to 5.2 gb.

Thread Information