5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Memory leak in chat output?

Edit: This turned out to be a chat related issue, instead of dice rolling related.

Ahoi.

- Start FGU.
    - Load previously newly created campaign, no extensions, only one PF2 CRB rules module (later disabled for comparison), no characters, no nothing.
    - Start rolling dice (around 10k 1d8-1 per minute).
    - At some point pause dice rolling to disable PF2 CRB module, resume dice rolling.

(Noteworthy: Process Explorer labels this "Private bytes", but it is only "Commit" according to Resource Monitor)

- Stop dice rolling.
    - Capture images, add text, write this post, check if commit and/or private released memory allocation (private grew even larger since dice rolling stopped).

Last edited by Weissrolf; November 29th, 2020 at 01:16. Reason: Changed title to technically correct term

Edit: Clarified that I stopped dice rolling before creating the forum post and screen capture of Resource Monitor.

The capture time and memory increase corresponded to about 230k dice being rolled.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 25th, 2020 at 15:56.

I just tried testing and I am seeing the same thing. Brand new CoreRPG campaign, no extensions or modules loaded. Automated double clicking a dice roll thousands of times and see this behavior. Total run was about 10 minutes, with a double click every 100ms or so. I also notice that the memory is not released after 10 minutes of inactivity

Last edited by mattekure; November 25th, 2020 at 16:24.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

For comparison I rolled "/die 256-1" to get the 3D dice animation out of the picture (pun intended). Then it dawned on me that this might not be a dice, but Chat output related problem. So I deleted the "/" and just output the text "die 256-1". Lo and behold, memory (commit) allocation increased even steeper.

chat buffer filling up over time?
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

For comparison, the chatlog of *both* sessions (first screenshot + last screenshot) is less than 20 MB in size. So even if the Chat window would keep a history of the whole log (which it does not) then it wouldn't be gigabytes of data.

Edit: Corrected size statement about chatlog. 20 mb, not 20 kb.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 25th, 2020 at 16:36.

Looks like classic memory leak. Something in memory is not being released only the dev's can solve it. A very good find though - I like when a community can give the dev's a major set of details to help solve a problem! Well done!
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    But is it a problem? I'm pretty sure that even in a marathon gaming session I'm NEVER going to roll 230,000 dice.

Now, does the memory leak or failure to release memory actually happen during anything resembling actual usage?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    But is it a problem? I'm pretty sure that even in a marathon gaming session I'm NEVER going to roll 230,000 dice.

Now, does the memory leak or failure to release memory actually happen during anything resembling actual usage?
    Memory leaks sometimes lead to an underlying flaw that can cause other issues. They are always, ALWAYS worth investigating.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

It seems that text chat messages and non-standard dice mostly only increase virtual memory allocation (Commit in RM), but 3D animated dice also increase the working set (Private in RM).

Does a memory leak matter? Unexpected question. I'd say, you decide yourself and ask those people who reported FGU slowing down as sessions go on.

Given how memory hungry FGU can become once images are opened (multiple times the image size) it is kind of hard to track which part hogs how much memory. I will keep an eye on memory consumption next time we play.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 25th, 2020 at 17:43.

Thread Information