STAR TREK 2d20
Page 7 of 9 First ... 56789 Last
    There does not seem to be much of an interest in this. Most unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    There does not seem to be much of an interest in this. Most unfortunate.
    I, for one, hope it is being looked into!

Have you done any tests without constant dice rolling or chat input? I noticed even in my development campaign (for making custom modules) it started to get super slow. I had it open for maybe 8 hours and it got really laggy by the 5th or 6th hour. And of course I was not doing much rolling at all, mostly just entering data.

I also kind of find this all suspicious since it’s being developed in Unity— I’m not sure what is being shoehorned into the engine that would cause memory leaks (the Lua interpreter maybe? I dunno.)

Edit: Ok I guess even Unity can have mem leaks despite having a Garbage Collector. Just from searching around I see others talking about it- https://forum.unity.com/threads/solv...-leaks.479076/
    Last edited by seansps; November 27th, 2021 at 14:55.

Blog Entries
    The information is probably useful once we start a development cycle to look at it. Until then, it doesn’t make much sense for us to comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    This is enough for us to look into.
    This was one year ago. So after you are done with mandatory new functions like decals and side-buttons when might we expect a development cycle that seriously looks into memory leaks, slowdowns and even operating system breaking flaws?

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    This was one year ago. So after you are done with mandatory new functions like decals and side-buttons when might we expect a development cycle that seriously looks into memory leaks, slowdowns and even operating system breaking flaws?
    I'm sure they'll look at it when they look at it. You've made your point, it has been noted.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Roger that. I will follow up in a year again.

Weissrolf,

You have a lot of info here. I'm wondering if you can summarize in a sentence or two the end results of your tests.

Thanks,
    Jason

FGU eats multiple times the memory needed for breakfast, especially with images and chat. It does not properly release memory (aka memory leak) until the program is completely shut down and thus causes performance and other issues. Happy new year 2022.

Blog Entries
    We tend to prioritize development based on the ease of identifying and fixing the issue, the amount of people it affects, the severity of the effect, marketability, and a few more things. Your testing methodology focuses on edge cases and the severity of the issues you identify is often described by you as being very severe. The reality is that these issues do not negatively affect many users in a typical usage scenario.

Yes, that is the reality, no one but me is affected by FGU's memory shenanigans. Coming up with easy to reproduce test scenarios is the real issue here. And me following up a whole year after my last post is unnecessarily pushy. I understand.

Thread Information