DICE PACKS BUNDLE

[Bug?] Grid measure not adjusting reach underlays

Hi

I am not really sure whether this is a bug and/or known: When I change the increment of the grid in the image sidebar, then I still need to set my reach value with respect to the old increment. E.g. I have a reach of 10 ft. (5ft. per grid as in 3.5e), hence, 2 square reach; then I need to change the reach to 5ft. when switching to an increment of 10ft. such that the reach is then 1 square I do not expect that these values and the token sizes automatically update, but it would be nice when these values are aligned to what the grid measures EDIT: Similar problems with size of course (probably more important because the reach is in general complicated due to different templates in different rulesets)

Best wishes,

Kelrugem
    Last edited by Kelrugem; November 20th, 2020 at 05:30.

Blog Entries
    Does this issue happen with tokens newly added to the map? Or just ones that are already on the map? And of course, tested with no extensions I assume?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Does this issue happen with tokens newly added to the map? Or just ones that are already on the map? And of course, tested with no extensions I assume?
    Yup, it always happens, also when tokens are added later (and no extensions )

The token sizing and underlays built into the CoreRPG system are locked to the default distance information provided for each game system (i.e. mapping of creature information to # of grid squares for size and underlays). The ability to change distance information on a per map basis is pretty new; so it hasn't been accounted for. Also, the underlays can only be specified in grid square increments.

For now, you're better off drawing a 5-ft. FG grid on maps with 10' or 20' grid squares for D&D and similar systems. Otherwise, you won't be able to use grid snapping, sizing and underlays. You can even turn off the grid, so you don't see the extra lines but get all the other benefits.

The original concept for the distance options was to allow alternate measures for overland maps or high-level maps; not to redefine the grid sizes for the tactical part of the gaming.

At some point, we'll have to review what it means to have a 5-ft token on a 10-ft map grid, especially with regards to sizing, underlays, and snapping. However, it's not that high of a priority, since you can work around by redefining grid smaller at default tactical scale for game system and making grid invisible if desired.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The token sizing and underlays built into the CoreRPG system are locked to the default distance information provided for each game system (i.e. mapping of creature information to # of grid squares for size and underlays). The ability to change distance information on a per map basis is pretty new; so it hasn't been accounted for. Also, the underlays can only be specified in grid square increments.

For now, you're better off drawing a 5-ft. FG grid on maps with 10' or 20' grid squares for D&D and similar systems. Otherwise, you won't be able to use grid snapping, sizing and underlays. You can even turn off the grid, so you don't see the extra lines but get all the other benefits.

The original concept for the distance options was to allow alternate measures for overland maps or high-level maps; not to redefine the grid sizes for the tactical part of the gaming.

At some point, we'll have to review what it means to have a 5-ft token on a 10-ft map grid, especially with regards to sizing, underlays, and snapping. However, it's not that high of a priority, since you can work around by redefining grid smaller at default tactical scale for game system and making grid invisible if desired.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thank you for your answer Yes, that makes sense, and I also had that in mind, therefore I was not sure whether it is a bug Overland measurement is certainly what I use that for
    Last edited by Kelrugem; November 23rd, 2020 at 01:06.

Thread Information