STAR TREK 2d20
Page 36 of 105 First ... 2634353637384686 ... Last
    Ah, I tested square vs. circle and despite my grid-based tokens being more "square" I prefer the circle setting for moving them around. With square they can be dragged at their empty corners, which is more confusing than dragging them on the often circular image with superimposed grid instead. So thanks for that setting, it seems quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    Did the character already have spells on the character sheet ?

If so use the re-parse spell option on the radial menu. In most rulesets pressing 'shift' will just process the spell token update part... or you can fully reparse the spell. ( Note spells like rob2e/'phb automated effects' custom spells do not re-parse, which is why the hold 'shift' option is available, or you can delete/re-add the spell etc.. )

Hope this solves your issue, try on a clean campaign with just this extension, if not please give some extra information. eg ruleset, list of (other) extensions, screen shot, attach to the thread a test campaign that have issues with so I can have a look down the db.xml and see what is causing the issue.

-pete
    Yep, that did it!

I understand that horizontal cone images have to be rotated so that the origin is on the lower side (6 o'clock). But what about diagonal ones? These seem to be missing an entry?!

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    I understand that horizontal cone images have to be rotated so that the origin is on the lower side (6 o'clock). But what about diagonal ones? These seem to be missing an entry?!
    I'm not sure what the 'missing an entry' is all about.

You should have one cone image, but might change for a centred one, that looks like cone.png... then you use the token rotate mouse wheel to spin it around. ( I want to move to use the centred point in the centre of the graphic so that make the bottom half graphic blank space, but at least it would rotate around a better point. )

For me you just create the pointing up version and let the mouse wheel rotate do its job to rotate the spell token graphic. ( its not going to square match as it rotates.. )

I'm not adding cone_up, cone_right, cone_diagonal_up, cone_diagonal_down etc.. because that would be a total 'f**k' to deal with as you would need 8 versions custom for every spell and matching graphic tokens plus maybe multiple square origin point.

It not possible to have custom shapes for all start points, say centre and then a corner point ( or all 9 possible points on the square assuming left/middle/right and the top/middle/bottom ) and then have all the rotations and shapes and sizes. You could end up with a hundreds custom shape layout grids. ( No user is going to click a list box with that many options to configure. )

I'm looking to make a centred cone, and a centred triangle that both points up. I dont expect 'perfect' square hit custom graphics to work.

A diagonal graphic would also need to be rotated for its source to be centre bottom pointing up, and then middle scroll to rotate it. Basically what ever cone graphic you want has to sit on the pattern image. If you want to have multiple versions of each spell configured with a different spell token designed for custom axis that a player drags out knowing they want a vertical,diagonal,horizonal spell cast token and they are going to use the vertical for up/down, horizonal for left/right and diagonal for the other 4 directions once placed they rotate it. that is up to you.

does that cover all options, as i'm not clear on what you are trying to deal with.

( Maybe dm me some of the graphics for spell tokens you are trying to use, so I can think about options/solutions etc. )
    Attached Images Attached Images

We are using grid-based spell tokens, which in turn would need two different cone shapes to work with your extension.

This orthogonal one is already possible with the current "Cone" shape. It needs to start with the origin at 6 o'clock and then can be rotated.

But this diagonal one is currently not possible, even when the graphic is rotated to fit the 6 o'clock point of origin. Unfortunately the "Triangle" form doesn't fit these neither. The closest thing is the "Square" shape, which then allows to also grab the token in the three empty squares.

Concerning the point of rotation. I did try to put insert more space to make the point of origin the rotation point, too. Works well for rotation, but then again a lot of empty space can be used to drag the spell token, which might be more confusing than just leaving the rotation point on the center square.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; August 22nd, 2021 at 01:03.

We are using grid-based spell tokens, which in turn would need two different cone shapes to work with your extension.

This orthogonal one is already possible with the current "Cone" shape. It needs to start with the origin at 6 o'clock and then can be rotated.

But this diagonal one is currently not possible, even when the graphic is rotated to fit the 6 o'clock point of origin. Unfortunately the "Triangle" form doesn't fit these neither. The closest thing is the "Square" shape, which then allows to also grab the token in the three empty squares.

Concerning the point of rotation. I did try to put insert more space to make the point of origin the rotation point, too. Works well for rotation, but then again a lot of empty space can be used to drag the spell token, which might be more confusing than just leaving the rotation point on the center square.
    Empty space in a spell token should not be draggable, unless it has the green selection. It checks the shape space and cursor point. ( which also controls the tool tip to show. )

if you 'added space' and used the 'cone' shape it will still consider the bottom middle of the graphic the origin of the cone, so you would then have empty space to grab.. which might be what you were seeing. ( A proper centre cone option would not drag the extended space below the graphic. )

I'm not sure on the 2 images you show.. both look to be covered reasonably with a 'cone' shape. (spray.jpg, i've covered the 2 FG spell template for prismatic spray which is the same thing you show)

You can just rotate your diagonal image by 45degrees at the bottom left corner, so make a version with the source in the bottom centre pointing up and store that as a the spell graphic ?

Or am i missing something ?

Made an example for you, you would need 2 spells one for your normal cone and one for the other diagonal graphic.

I configured the diag.png as a '25 cone', which makes it about the corrects size, give or take some pixel cropping and rotation stuff. ( I'm not an artist so is rough )

In diagonal.png, you can see i've added the normal 15' cone test to show the area that would be considered for selection. ( Which seems to cover ok.. )

Does this answer you question ?

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    Empty space in a spell token should not be draggable, unless it has the green selection. It checks the shape space and cursor point. ( which also controls the tool tip to show. )
    That is the problem with using "Square" for the diagonal cone, it leaves 3 squares of empty space within the dragable share (as square is larger than the original cone). So square is not the best solution.

if you 'added space' and used the 'cone' shape it will still consider the bottom middle of the graphic the origin of the cone, so you would then have empty space to grab.. which might be what you were seeing. ( A proper centre cone option would not drag the extended space below the graphic. )
    Yes, that is what happened when I tried to add space for making the rotational point of the token match the point of origin (which makes placement easier, as drop-point = point of origin). Works flawlessly for the rotation, but then the empty space below becomes dragable. So not a good compromise:

This also caused the 45° rotated diagonal cone not to match. When you rotate the image via image software it leaves the upper part empty to match the original square image shape (which upon close inspection isn't even fully empty):

This in turn caused the oddities I was experiencing:

So I have to cut the upper free space out of the rotated image. The FGU cone shape is a bit smaller than the grid shape at the sides, while covering part of empty squares at the front. Nothing dramatic, though. But now I have to rotate all diagonal cone graphics by -45° and cut the (not so) empty space out.

Thanks for the ongoing support!
    Last edited by Weissrolf; August 22nd, 2021 at 11:52.

That is the problem with using "Square" for the diagonal cone, it leaves 3 squares of empty space within the dragable share (as square is larger than the original cone). So square is not the best solution.

Yes, that is what happened when I tried to add space for making the rotational point of the token match the point of origin (which makes placement easier, as drop-point = point of origin). Works flawless for the rotation, but then the empty space below becomes dragable. So not a good compromise:

This also caused the 45° rotated diagonal cone not to match. When you rotate the image via image software it leaves the upper part empty to match the original square image shape (which upon close inspection isn't even fully empty):

This in turn caused the oddities I was experiencing:

So I have to cut the upper free space out of the rotated image. The FGU cone shape is a bit smaller than the grid shape at the sides, while covering part of empty squares at the front. Nothing dramatic, though. But now I have to rotate all diagonal cone graphics by -45° and cut the (not so) empty space out.

Thanks for the ongoing support!
    I'm a few stages of code away from this, but I plan to allow spell graphics to have a coded name item in them.. and then look that up based on the rotation value. eg. 'prismatic{1}.png'->'prismatic{8}.png', with the 3 type square/circle/cone centred so rotation looks ok.

Then you can ask for... pattern of squares is wrong depending on source point centre of square or corner of square... so I could add 'prismatic{1}.png' for centre square and 'prismatic{c1}.png' for corner.

I can probably 'fold' the square spaces in the check hit math to deal with square matching..

But this is a number of steps of code away, and I'm not sure I can switch textures on rotation. ( My tests suggest I have to delete and re-add the spell token.. )

Always trying to get it better if I can..

-pete

Thread Information