DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Lost Campaign info

Help!
    I have been running a Savage Worlds campaign for several months on FG Classic. So far we've completed about ten sessions along with about 50 hours of prep, NPCs, story lines, Encounters, etc. Earlier this week I had a challenge while running a Windows 10 update, and since that point all my NPCs, stories and encounter info have disappeared from just this one campaign. My other FG campaigns are intact. Surely the info would be in my saved files somewhere but I have no idea as to how to identify them and if I do where to re-install or move them.
    The kicker is all the time lost, as everything else about the platform has been excellent, so please help me recover these files.

Caratacus

Blog Entries
    Inside your campaign folder you will have a bunch of 'db.sessions.<date>' files. If you are uncomfortable doing the following, then post a screen shot of your campaign folder with the size and date of the files shown (like below). What you want to do is copy your db.xml file, then copy the latest session file that has a non zero file size and rename it to db.xml, then restart FG and open your campaign. Continue going back in time until you find the one with the data you want to keep.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Also this might be the wrong time to mention it but you really should make backups of your campaign folders from time to time. You never know if you had a computer or hard drive problem all of it would be lost.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Indeed. At my age I should be smarter, or should I say will be smarter going forward. Love this platform, it has kept us going through this extraordinary year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Ok, so first thing is to turn on the file name extensions, typically View > Options > Show Filename Extensions.
    Exit FG
    Then copy the db.xml file to db-bad.xml
    Then copy and rename db.backup.1605664315.xml to db.xml
    Restart FG, launch your campaign.
    All good?

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Caratacus View Post
    Indeed. At my age I should be smarter, or should I say will be smarter going forward. Love this platform, it has kept us going through this extraordinary year.
    This shows that there was a problem just after 8pm on the 17th. FG creates a backup file if it starts a campaign and sees that data wasn't saved properly previously. During this process of identifying an issue with a previous session, a popup window would have giving some feedback as to the issue and the creation of a backup file. Keep an eye out for messages like this in future...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

AWESOME!!
    Thanks very much to each of you for helping and old uncomputer geek. This community rocks!

Any suggestions for the best method of saving in case of a similar hiccup. Should I keep all the files on a USB for example? This is a great laptop but nothing is foolproof these days.

Blog Entries
    Your laptop hard drive is more reliable than a USB drive. BUT, you might want to backup to a USB drive.

Or, you could backup to OneDrive or Google Drive for free. See this post for a very capable batch file you can use; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post308736

The big thing is not on the same drive as the existing campaign. You know in case you lose it or it breaks.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Thread Information