5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I bought FGU Ultimate during kickstarter, tried it a couple times over 2020, but the performance was just really bad compared to classic so I never bothered migrating. Unfortunately, classic no longer works on Mac with Big Sur, so we are now forced to migrate to FGU. I have a pretty beefy machine and the lag is obnoxious. The worst of it has been narrowed down to the action tab on my character sheet. I have lots of entries on that tab, and if it's open, I can barely scroll through the list, or even move the character window smoothly. If I switch off that tab, everything speeds up quite a bit, but there is still that hint of lag that is annoying.

So, my recommendation to anyone who cares to listen is please fix performance issues before spending anytime on new features. I'm the only one that has purchased FGU so far in my group, and have been hosting the games, and so far, no one else wants to spend any money on this.

Please tell us the ruleset and your specs. You might be suffering from having too many things open at once, or maybe some overkill? Read below Post #30.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

5e, Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB ram. Radeon RX 5600 XT with 6GB VRAM

I launched initially with my normal loadout of modules, which is about 7. Based on reading here, I reduced that to about 3 essentials. Still having sluggish performance with everything closed except my character sheet and combat tracker. Playing with 4 other players.

The program also uses about 25% GPU during idle and anywhere from 1.5GB to 2GB of RAM, which I find astonishing. In fairness, my group report much less RAM usage (under 1GB), but everyone reports very high GPU usage.

Keep in mind, everything runs very smoothly in classic with all other things being the same, so the difference is really apparent.

Thanks for your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by beseb View Post
    So, my recommendation to anyone who cares to listen is please fix performance issues before spending anytime on new features.
    I second this. As of now the performance of FGU is a major roadblock to migration. I have used other Unity apps/games that do not suffer from these performance issues. The UI system needs to be properly optimized, and if possible migrated to a secondary event-engine thread separate from other graphical renderings. I understand how hard these issues can be, I've written a graphics engine and UI system before. They extremely complicated and difficult to debug. But this needs to be a priority. Snappy programs feel good to use, sluggish ones feel like they're broken.

I've been using FG since 2004 and is by far my favorite VTT and I'm rooting for you guys.
    -------------------------
    CST (GMT -6)

Thread Information